Author Topic: Match boxes  (Read 3865 times)

Zaise

• View Profile
Match boxes
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:01:00 pm »
Hey all, so I know I posted some stuff on matchbox covers, now I need help with matchboxes. I know this doesn't technically fall under antiques, but I need help from this community. I'm looking to use one of the matchbox covers I bought that isn't worth all that much (so I don't mind carrying it around). The only problem is that I'm having some trouble finding boxes that's 1in by 1.5in by 0.5in thick. Most matchboxes I've found are bigger in one way or another. Anyone know where I can get matches in these dimensions? I would rather they be of a brand that's still around so I can get more if needed.

Thanks everyone!

~SeanZ
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:28:43 am by Zaise »

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Match boxes
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 11:42:21 pm »
It's a very fair question, this forum isn't only about antiques. I only wish I could help. Where you are located (country-wise) would make a big difference with someone helping you. When I was a smoker (many years ago) it never failed to amaze me just how much match sizes varied when you traveled even within Europe

Zaise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:19:57 am »
It's a very fair question, this forum isn't only about antiques. I only wish I could help. Where you are located (country-wise) would make a big difference with someone helping you. When I was a smoker (many years ago) it never failed to amaze me just how much match sizes varied when you traveled even within Europe

Ah thanks for the info. I did not realize that there were different size standards from country to country. I live in the USA, though possibly, if I could only find the size I'm looking for in another country, I could purchase them from sites like Amazon (assuming I know the brand name) for hopefully not too much more than retail price.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 10:23:04 am »
Just go to the grocery store and look where thr charcoal and grilling items are !!  The smaller boxes
(or the ones I have here) are 1 3/8 X 2 1/16 !!  Other brands may vary a little bit !!  Kitchen matches are 3X4 or thereabout !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 10:36:09 am »
They'd be too big for Zaise ..."I'm having some trouble finding boxes that's 1in by 1.5in by 0.5in thick" ... which is a small box.

Just occurred to me that you say it is a matchbook cover .... ? It may seem a silly question, but why are you not looking for a matchbook that will fit?
I've seen old silver matchbook covers which flip open for you to break off a match, and when you close it, it has a small window exposing the striker. Is that the same idea as yours?

Zaise

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 11:30:18 am »
They'd be too big for Zaise ..."I'm having some trouble finding boxes that's 1in by 1.5in by 0.5in thick" ... which is a small box.

Just occurred to me that you say it is a matchbook cover .... ? It may seem a silly question, but why are you not looking for a matchbook that will fit?
I've seen old silver matchbook covers which flip open for you to break off a match, and when you close it, it has a small window exposing the striker. Is that the same idea as yours?

My apologies Mariok54, I do indeed mean matchBOXES. I have modified my original post so it reflects the correct form of match container. IF it were indeed a matchbook cover it would be easier to find the correct size.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 12:16:30 pm »
That's OK .... we all make typos. That is a pity, matchbooks would be easier to find!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 12:22:10 pm »
Is it to fit in a particular holder?

I haven't been able to find the "small" slender matchboxes for some time.  However, here is a company that will customize the sizes
http://www.treehuggerbox.com/matchboxes.html
" We offer an assortment of styles and sizes and if you don't see a size you need, let us know and we can quote you for a custom sized matchbox."  This is where matchboxes are used for crafts.  However, you could make your own!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Zaise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 01:46:14 pm »
Is it to fit in a particular holder?

I haven't been able to find the "small" slender matchboxes for some time.  However, here is a company that will customize the sizes
http://www.treehuggerbox.com/matchboxes.html
" We offer an assortment of styles and sizes and if you don't see a size you need, let us know and we can quote you for a custom sized matchbox."  This is where matchboxes are used for crafts.  However, you could make your own!!!

Yes it is. I recently bought a matchbox holder that I want to use. The company that you suggested might work I've sent them an email and will post here if it works out. Thanks.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 02:02:41 pm »
Incredible, KC, I never would have thought that I'd see a company that customised matchboxes!
And you can buy the kit and decorate it yourself!

What would you call your match company? Clean suggestions only!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 03:51:11 pm »
I forgot they were that small !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 11:36:57 pm »
Personally, I would take a regular size matchbox and alter it to fit.  Cover it with colored paper, or recycled book pages, etc.  Just cut down wooden matches to fit!  Wha-la!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Zaise

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 12:03:16 pm »
Personally, I would take a regular size matchbox and alter it to fit.  Cover it with colored paper, or recycled book pages, etc.  Just cut down wooden matches to fit!  Wha-la!!

That's not a bad idea. Good way to get up my crafting skills. I was also considering just buying a piece of stiff cardboard, some strike paper and going at it that way.