Author Topic: Bavarian Teacups  (Read 2578 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Bavarian Teacups
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:17:31 pm »
I've been trying to sell this set of 4 china cups and saucers. The mark on the leads me to believe that were made about 100 years ago. I first priced the set at $15 an no one was interested. Then I lowered the price to $10 and still no takers, even the local tea shop (I sent them an email with the photo and the proprietor said they would be a nice shelf decoration for the shop, but when I brought them in, she said she didn't want them). Am I expecting too much?

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Bavarian Teacups
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:57:21 pm »
The info you have there may be a bit misleading as it says 'from 1901', but it doesn't say when they stopped using that mark. I have a feeling that I saw somewhere that this particular mark was used up until the 1940s (but I could be wrong). Any pot experts on here should be able to be more specific.
$10 sounds cheap to me, but I've found this pair (creamer & sugar bowl) on ebay that didn't sell for $5 + $6 p&p ... ????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-H-O-Bavaria-ANTIQUE-Creamer-Sugar-Bowl-Vintage-SHABBY-PINK-ROSES-/190877153867?nma=true&si=4DT%252FOxguyYO5Ru57KBeaV%252Bizg84%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:04:43 pm »
You have to be cautious about the dates on that site. Marks were often reused. Also, they're just not very " a la mode ". Bit dated, bit soppy.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 06:34:20 pm »
It will take just the right person to buy them.  Nice little cups...just this "dated" pattern isn't in demand!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 08:25:56 pm »
They are not a 100 year old style !! I would say closer to 40`s !! Ipcress is right,, you can`t always date things like this just by the mark !!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 02:27:07 am »
The comments about this pattern being "date" and "soppy" confused me. What are people looking for these days?

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 02:53:06 am »
The comments about this pattern being "date" and "soppy" confused me. What are people looking for these days?

Taste is very subjective .... I actually quite like those and would happily have them on my tea tray, so would my wife .... whereas others will see them as 'dated' and 'soppy'.

I think that the general consensus is that they are later, as mentioned earlier, the back stamp was used 'from 1901' (and I am 100% certain that I read somewhere that it was used until the 40s), but there will still be people out there who will want them, just a question of getting lucky. The problem is that every time you put them on Ebay and don't sell, you still end up paying fees.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 08:43:18 am »
Its all a guessing game as to what people want !! I like them because my grandmother had some similar ones !! But at a garage sale,,people expect give away prices !! they would be more likely to sell if priced per pair !! People need to feel they are getting a bargain !! I would price them at $2.50 each (cup and saucer) or all for $8.00 !! If they sell individually its still $10. but some people have a mental block when looking at numbers !!  That why many grocery stores use that tactic !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 09:53:56 am »
... or ..... $2.50 for one cup and saucer and $6 for two cups and saucers (they do say one is born every minute   ;D  )

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 10:38:59 am »
I would start high.  Put up a sign that says "Cup and Saucer $4 each." When/if someone inquires if you will go lower offer to sell all 4 for $10! 

I personally like the pattern.  I like the cups.  I am seeing a trend for cups that are more elaborate in decoration and are more delicate in appearance.  This trend will pass.

I am surprised they don't sell.  So many people are using cups for crafting such as making into candles, making into hanging lighting, stacking with plates to make tiered food serving pieces, etc.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 11:34:31 am »
There you are, take heart, more thumbs up than thumbs down .....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 03:00:35 pm »
i have,nt given my tuppence worth yet..... :D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,