Author Topic: Salado Tx. Finds Part 3  (Read 8772 times)

capot1948

• View Profile
Salado Tx. Finds Part 3
« on: August 30, 2013, 02:50:08 pm »
Last group of what we found yesterday. These came from the Salado Antique Mall

First photo is a set of six Czech crystal champagne glasses I got for a steal

This is a bowl that was marked as 'Depression Glass' I can't confirm that since I have no idea what 'Depression Glass' looks like

There are some more antique stores there however for some reason they were closed on Thursday. I'll have to call and see what days they're open.  I feel another trip there coming up in about a month or so.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Salado Tx. Finds Part 3
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 02:54:51 pm »
i think you,ll find the correct name for the Czech crystal....is Bohemian Crystal
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:07:13 pm »
My mistake, you're right, the little sticker on them said Bohemia but it also had Czech on it. Either way, I think I got a good deal at $14.00

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 01:09:24 am »
$14 for the six glasses really was a steal.
I'm certainly no expert on glass, but that doesn't look like depression glass to me (shoot me down if I'm wrong). Is it pressed glass or cut glass or even crystal? it is hard to tell from the pics.

A while back I bid on a Lot because I was after two vintage Parker Fountain pens, the Lot included some silver spoons and a 'glass bowl', the glass bowl turned out to be 1920s and crystal, and I think that when I sold that on Ebay it virtually covered the cost of what I paid for the entire Lot.

You certainly seem to have had a good day out!

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 08:18:29 am »
Thanks, I'll have to take another look at the bowl after I've had more coffee and maybe see if I can get some close-up photos to post. I do know it's heavy. I know absolutely nothing about glass other than some of it is really pretty and some is pretty expensive.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 09:32:02 am »
You're right, it is pretty, so if it turns out that it's not worth a fortune it's still a delightful piece.

Is Ironlord around?

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 03:51:48 pm »
Here's a close-up of the bottom of the bowl when turned upside down. As I said, it was marked Depression Glass Bowl but I have no idea on glass.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 08:27:54 am »
Beautiful stuff, you have good taste!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 08:38:06 am »
It is lovely, but I still can't make out whether it is pressed or cut ... someone with a better pair of peepers than mine might be able to.

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 11:20:39 am »
Thanks Ghopper, my wife is the one with the taste I just have the card to pay for it with. ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 03:44:29 pm »
You have to go by feel on some of these !! It is not one of the depression era patterns that most people collect !! But it could have been made during that era !! My opinion is that its an American pattern glass from the American Brilliant Period or just ABP glass !!  During that era cut glass was in fashion for the wealthy but was unaffordable for many middle income families !!  As a result several glassmakers started making a heavier glass to look like the fancier cut glass but lower priced for the middle class !!  Too many patterns for me but Wendy might know !!  It is a collectable catagory on its own !!  Wendy will correct me if I am wrong !!
If it is ABP it likely would have been made before or very early into depression era !!

Now waiting on Wendy to correct me !! ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 07:34:57 pm by mart »

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 04:22:49 pm »
Thanks Mart, glass is driving me crazy! There are so many books it seems like. Looks like I'll be hitting up Half-Price books pretty hard. Just need to find one type and stick with it for now.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 05:24:45 pm »
The American Cut Glass Assoc. has a website.  They were very helpful when I had some questions. Very nice find!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 05:47:58 pm »
Cut glass has sharp crisp edges,,pressed or pattern glass will feel smooth !!  I will say I have never seen that particular pattern in pressed glass !!  But the top edge looks like pressed glass !!  Have you checked for a signature/mark ??  They are often hidden or otherwise hard to find !!  Start at the bottom and work up !!

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 07:19:23 pm »
Still looking for a signature or mark Mart however I did find the seam where it's pressed together. Odd though that it doesn't seem to go across the bottom I can find it from the top on either side though and the rim is smooth. I'll find a good light and go over it again looking for marks.