Author Topic: Salado Tx. Finds Part 3  (Read 8770 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Salado Tx. Finds Part 3
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 07:39:43 pm »
Bottom and top rim was likely polished away !! Side seams would not be as noticeable because of the pattern !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 07:53:26 pm »
I'm not saying which it is, but they can be helpful in explaining differences in types of glass cut glass or pressed glass or which ever it could be.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 08:29:11 pm »
Here's a photo of the seam and using my magnifying glass finally found a mark. Does an 'A' and to the right of that what looks like maybe a 'C' or a circle that is almost closed and there appear to be some dots of glass on the 'C' mean anything? I've got a photo that I think shows it.

Seam

Seam w/flash

Chris

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 02:32:53 pm »
I'm really getting confused now. I've been looking today to try and find out what the 'A' and 'C' or 'G' mean on this plate. Can't find it anywhere. Now I'm also getting confused while trying to look up EAPG, is it Early American Pattern Glass or Early American Pressed Glass? Is what I have either one of these? I also read on some site that EAPG will glow in the dark under black light, I thought that was 'Vaseline' glass that did that. This is too much for an old man.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 03:56:19 pm »
EAPG is what I was talking about !!  Just a fancier name !! American pattern glass searches get the same results !!  I just like to simplify things !!  Less typing that way !! If Wendy ever comes on she may know the pattern !!

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 04:28:05 pm »
Thanks Mart, that's what I thought but I had to make sure.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 04:34:16 pm »
All the same so don`t worry !!  Will say this,, when searching for something try each name and any variations you might think of !! Because someone else might have it listed in a different way !!

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 04:17:10 pm »
I'm back, went to Salado again today, but not to shop. The debit for our purchases hasn't shown up at our bank after a week and wanted to see if they might know why. Of course while there we found some things that were 1/2 price that we had to buy, I'll post later. Anyway, the reason I'm commenting on this thread is because of the bowl, again. I went to the EAPG Society website, paid my money and am still waiting for a username/password. In the meantime I went to their FB page and joined, that took over a day to get accepted. My first post there was the bowl. I posted photos of the drawing/rubbing of the mark we found on the bottom center of the bowl.

According to them this is actually the mark, bottom row, 2nd from right.

I can't disagree because I'm a dummy on glass but my wife says no way is that the same mark. I showed her where they'd said it could be because of the mold being old or whatever but she says the picture they posted looks nothing like the one we have.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 07:38:31 pm »
When I first looked at this bowl I thought it might be Imperial but since I can`t see the mark on the glass in the pics,, couldn`t tell !! If Wendy ever shows up,, I am going to make a point to PM her and get her to look !!  If you see her name,, you do the same !! Hard to do anything from pics !!  Rather than buy all those books,, I have some links for glass ware you can put on your desktop !!  Easier to me since I get sleepy when I read !!

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 08:12:45 pm »
Thanks Mart, when you get a chance can you PM them or if you'd rather email I'll PM you my email address. No hurry whenever it's convenient for you. The folks over at the EAPG FB page have come to the conclusion that the mark on the bowl is the 2nd one from the right in the bottom row. My wife and I tend to disagree with them but I don't want to get into an argument with anyone since I know absolutely nothing, just what I can see.

I'll keep a lookout for Wendy. BTW, I've sent photos of that 'Persian' decanter to a glass manufacturer in the Czech Republic and he's doing some more checking but from what he says it's Bohemian. I'll let you know the final outcome.

Chris

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 08:20:59 pm »
I will send those links tomorrow !! I don`t think that right either just from what you drew !!  Sometimes its best just to do your own research !!

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 08:57:27 pm »
Mart, my wife had an idea on how to maybe get a better photo of the mark. She's a painter and has lots of small brushes. She's thinking that if we went over the mark with some acrylic paint that it would make it very easy to get a photo and the paint is water soluble so would wash right off. What do you think?

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 08:59:05 am »
I have tried many things to get marks, but it's still difficult to see. It's worth trying. You could take paper and pencil and lay the paper on the mark and lightly go over the mark too and see if that works.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 09:20:34 am »
Mart, my wife had an idea on how to maybe get a better photo of the mark. She's a painter and has lots of small brushes. She's thinking that if we went over the mark with some acrylic paint that it would make it very easy to get a photo and the paint is water soluble so would wash right off. What do you think?

Won`t hurt to try it !! I have done the same on occasion !! I just cover the whole think then wipe off the top/highpoints with a Q-Tip !!

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 09:31:50 am »
Got it Mart, will post results later.

Chris