Author Topic: is this mark is for solid gold?  (Read 13311 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: is this mark is for solid gold?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 04:46:32 pm »
I think it should do $250. pretty easily !!

artx

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 10:12:00 am »
well i call the store and they told me this watch it not run well is run and stop run and stop,etc.
so if i will repair it,how much do u think this watch run well full repair would be worth?

now after they told me this watch sometime run and sometime not i am not sure if to buy it for 150$

also there is no any mark for silver on the case,but in this watch company they do put any silver mark?

thank you all very much.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:17:43 am by artx »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 10:46:36 am »
Do not buy if if it does not run !! If runs and stops may just need cleaning but that's a chance you can take or not !! You might offer $75. and take a chance on it !!  That gives you a little clearance for a cleaning !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 11:14:34 am »
That is sound advice from mart, and certainly worth a try.
Many watches will run for a short while if you give them a shake, but it could be that it just needs a good clean and service.
Hallmarks come in many different forms ...for example it could just be stamped .800. This site will show you just how many different marks there can be.   
For a Longines watch of that era, I would be very surprised to find it in a steel case.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 11:56:02 am »
I certainly think its worth a shot !!  Its a nice watch !!

artx

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 12:08:38 pm »
ok guys i think i will buy it. when i will receive the watch i will Upload a better pictures.

soon there is large sale for real hand watch like cartier,Breitling,and etc, soon i will post here some pictures.

i think i will do some money on this watch.

thanks.

Ipcress

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 12:41:57 pm »
well i call the store and they told me this watch it not run well is run and stop run and stop,etc.
so if i will repair it,how much do u think this watch run well full repair would be worth?

now after they told me this watch sometime run and sometime not i am not sure if to buy it for 150$

also there is no any mark for silver on the case,but in this watch company they do put any silver mark?

thank you all very much.

Don't buy it.

If no part of the case has Longines or a good hallmark on then it's value decreases. That's before you tackle the movement.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 01:26:27 pm »
I thought it had Longines on the case ??  If not its still worth $75. but that's all I would offer !!  If he doesn`t take that let the seller pay for any repair before buying it !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 01:40:30 pm »
I thought it had Longines on the case ??  If not its still worth $75. but that's all I would offer !!  If he doesn`t take that let the seller pay for any repair before buying it !!

You are right mark, the face was clearly marked Longines, and so was the mechanism. I would be very surprised if it is not silver, but the all important photo of the inside of the back case is missing! I would say that would tell us a lot.

The people selling it obviously aren't repairers otherwise they'd probably have resolved the start stop issue. I doubt they'd have it serviced, and I'm of the opinion that they are saying that the $150 price tag reflects the fact that it is a/f
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:51:55 pm by mariok54 »

Ipcress

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2013, 02:40:20 pm »
I thought it had Longines on the case ??  If not its still worth $75. but that's all I would offer !!  If he doesn`t take that let the seller pay for any repair before buying it !!

The inner cover usually has the Longines mark on it. And i've expect a hallmark on this type of case, especially with the gold inlay.

Could be they don't know too much about watches and have just browsed Ebay for an average price.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2013, 11:53:33 pm »

The inner cover usually has the Longines mark on it. And i've expect a hallmark on this type of case, especially with the gold inlay.

Could be they don't know too much about watches and have just browsed Ebay for an average price.

Hi Ipcress, 'Longines' is clearly marked in two places, all we are missing is the serial number and any silver mark which would appear on the inner case.

Ipcress

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2013, 06:11:14 am »
I know it's clearly marked in two places on the watch, but the cases are also usually marked
It may have been " re-housed ".

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2013, 08:04:15 am »
I know it's clearly marked in two places on the watch, but the cases are also usually marked
It may have been " re-housed ".

Indeed, that's why I've been urging Artx to get photos of the inside of case .... fingers crossed, if it's all original then it might be a nice find for him.
And if it were to be all original then I'd buy it for $150, but I do have a friendly watch repairer.
It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2013, 08:12:51 am »
I would still make the case to the seller and offer $75.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2013, 08:18:25 am »
I would still make the case to the seller and offer $75.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I probably would as well, but they may throw it at you that the price reflects the a/f condition. Ideally they's meet somewhere halfway, $110 ... but if I could get a look inside that case and it was all original, then I'd probably still happily pay the $150 .. but then again, I wouldn't be buying to sell   ;)