Author Topic: old milk can  (Read 4580 times)

milkbird

• View Profile
old milk can
« on: September 02, 2013, 05:02:27 pm »
while kayaking I came across an old cast iron milk container in the creek, very aged in some spots, no rust at all on other parts of the container. issue: it's filled with liquid (milk????), and the seal appears to be original. any ideas?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: old milk can
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 05:05:20 pm »
we,re not clairvoyant....we need pics....oh...and welcome.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 08:08:03 pm »
Would not be cast iron !! More likely good grade of steel !! What is the location where you found this milk can ??  Creeks, small rivers, streams and wells were common places to keep milk before refrigerators !!
Right !! Need pics !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 06:03:07 am »
I'm guessing that it is a cream can ...... because a full milk can is not something you would want to tote around along with your kayak.  ;D ;D 

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:09:46 am »
An interesting side note to "cast iron milk container" is that there really was a 1/2 pint cast iron cream bottle available at one time. They came from the factory in the tool box of Aultman Taylor gas tractors, and were intended to replace the fuel sediment bulb in the event the glass one was broken in the field.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:39:47 am »
But if that were the case (and we have no idea how big this one is) wouldn`t it be empty rather than sealed ??  That's the first I have ever heard of a cast iron milk container !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 12:53:37 pm »
having given Mart,s first comment some serious thought....perhaps what we have here is a kayaking milk thief....maybe ...the owner of the full can...had as Mart says...put the can in the water...cos they did,nt have a fridge.....then along comes a kayaker....who sees said milk can.....and decides to purloin the milk can...and in doing so...may have caused untold hardship to some starvin bairns....... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 01:50:40 pm »
That might be possible if it had been before 1930 or so !!!  Need to see that seal !!  And need location !!

milkbird

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 04:13:09 pm »
On closer inspection, the container is steal, weighs 118 lbs. found it in cassadaga creek, about 2 miles south of Redbird corners, South Stockton, New York. (chautauqua County) on the neck of the can is the #262 written is some sort of red paint. this was an area with numerous dairy farms at the turn of the last century.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 05:45:12 pm »
its a milk churn...whoopee....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 06:23:11 pm »

You mean milk can !!  Looks like it was in the creek a while !! Its possible there could be a tiny hole by now and only thing inside is water and mud !! You should hope for that !! If it was forgotten or possibly taken by a dairy hand and put there till his work was done,,(most likely case),,,and the milk is still there you may need a gas mask when you open it !!
Another possibility is someones post hole bank !!  As far as the can,, if as it looks its a five gallon value is about $30. !! Ten gallon is a few dollars more !!  See if there is a name of a dairy or company on it !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 06:56:10 pm »

You mean milk can !!  Looks like it was in the creek a while !! Its possible there could be a tiny hole by now and only thing inside is water and mud !! You should hope for that !! If it was forgotten or possibly taken by a dairy hand and put there till his work was done,,(most likely case),,,and the milk is still there you may need a gas mask when you open it !!
Another possibility is someones post hole bank !!  As far as the can,, if as it looks its a five gallon value is about $30. !! Ten gallon is a few dollars more !!  See if there is a name of a dairy or company on it !!
You mean milk can!!.....Nooooooooooooo oooo!!...its a milk churn.....and it was a milk churn long before it became a milk can.....see link....to...."Milk Churns"...lots of them..... ;D

pictures of old milk churns

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 07:58:25 pm »
 What link ??

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 01:37:10 am »
The #262 would be the number assigned to the owner of it.

Milk and/or cream would be shipped to the dairy or processor ..... and the can would be returned to its owner.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile