Author Topic: old milk can  (Read 4578 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: old milk can
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 08:43:40 am »
That link doesn`t work !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 09:30:05 am »
it does for me......must be...yer slow connection..... :D...but....as a back up here,s a pic...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 11:04:53 am »
Okey Dokey Wullie !! You explain to me how the churning part happens ??  I have churned a bit in my life but I need to hear your description of it !! ???

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 11:12:27 am »
Okey Dokey Wullie !! You explain to me how the churning part happens ??  I have churned a bit in my life but I need to hear your description of it !! ???
churning/....there is,nt any churning ....this is only for carrying the mulk.... ;D

A milk churn is a tall, conical or cylindrical container for the transportation of milk.[1] It is sometimes referred to as a milk can.

Milk was originally distributed in 'pails', a lidded bucket with a handle. Often two pails would be carried on either end of a wooden yoke. Once the railways started carrying milk the pail proved less than ideal as it was top-heavy and tended to spill. Dairy farmers used a tall conical wooden container - a butter churn - to 'churn' the milk to make butter, and this proved to be preferable for the railways to transport. It held a lot more milk (about seventeen gallons) and its conical shape made it less likely to spill or topple over. These wooden churns were intrinsically heavy however and from the 1850s a steel version was introduced and soon became the standard. The name churn was retained for these containers although they were not themselves used for 'churning' butter.....are we enlightened..... :D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,