Author Topic: What are these Tools?  (Read 6820 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
What are these Tools?
« on: September 07, 2013, 07:41:18 pm »
I purchased these tools at the TS today and I'm wondering what they are used for? Neither of the tools have any maker identification marks on them. They both open and close in either direction.

My first impression was that they were nut crackers but I later dismissed that and thought perhaps they were some kind of old carpenters tools perhaps one to pull nails out and the other to put or remove studs into or from wood.

Any idea what these tools are, how old they might be and who made them?

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="676" height="2491" border="0

mart

• View Profile
Re: What are these Tools?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 07:49:53 pm »
Look like nut crackers to me !!  Have never seen a carpenters tool even similar to these !!  Get a pecan and try it !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:00:36 pm »
Lobster and crab leg crackers. They used them in restaurants.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 08:01:47 pm »
The long skinny ones are to pick out the meat of the shellfish.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:12:55 pm »
i knew there was more to you, than you were letting on......well done you.....you get a brownie point.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 08:34:24 pm »
Well, since we have no shellfish in the middle of Texas,, I will take your word for it !! Still would make good nutcrackers !! I have about 5 gallons of pecans here to work on,,want me to try them out for you ??

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 08:42:42 pm »
Well, since we have no shellfish in the middle of Texas,, I will take your word for it !! Still would make good nutcrackers !! I have about 5 gallons of pecans here to work on,,want me to try them out for you ??
i learn something new ....never realised pecan,s came in liquid form....i always thought they were nuts....and came by the lb..... ;D

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 09:07:01 pm »
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding.... we have 2 Winners??? Are they both for Lobsters or were they both intended for nuts or is one for lobsters and one for nuts as designed by the makers?

The long skinny handle one as described by greenacres I now think is for lobsters and or crabs but the other may be for nuts? I've now seen the long skinny handle one listed online and described for both lobsters and nuts. Sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't.  :)

How do we divide this brownie? Oh nuts! :(

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 09:33:36 pm »
 ;D ;D when you eat a lobsters claw you need the cracker to break it open. They could used for both. Growing up we did use them for both. It's a mutli purpose tool. ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 09:39:28 pm »
They are lobster and crab crackers!!!  To crack the shell and pic out the meat!!!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 04:31:03 am »
I have about 5 gallons of pecans here to work on,,want me to try them out for you ??

5 gallon......... :o :o

Mart, you need to borrow my nutcracker for that job. You would be all done in less than an hour and back on the form n' munchin pecans as you ponder the answers to posted questions. 

You can crack those pecans out bout as fast as you can pick them out of the bucket with this beauty of mine, ......... ;D ;D

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 06:05:36 am »
I am getting jealous here ... I absolutely love pecans, but by the time we get them over here it's like eating the cardboard cover of a boring book!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 09:43:27 am »
Cogar,, that would be better than this tabletop job that hubby bought !! Works on same principal but is a headache to use !!  Have to adjust for each size which is a pain !!  New fall crop will be coming in about October,November !! Want me to send you some ??  You will have to crack then yourself though !! Not my favorite thing to do !! That's why I still have a bucket full !! I just shell as needed !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 05:54:01 pm »
Have to adjust for each size which is a pain !! 

And that is the beauty of mine, Mart, it is self adjusting. You can put a black walnut in the bottom jaw "cup" n' crack it, followed by a hazelnut, then a hickory nut, etc., etc. ... and just keep right on a "levering" back n' forth ..... and you get a perfect "crack" most every time. 

And Mart, that was really nice of you to offer to send me some pecans because I love the taste of them also. I luv the taste of all the native nut species; Black Walnut, Butternut or White Walnut, Hickory nuts and Hazelnuts. 

But Mart, I'm not able to crack them out and I know Violet would not be thrilled about doing it. .... And they always tastes better when ya crack them for yourself.

Mart, I ought to sell you that nutcracker because I haven't used it in the past 10 years or so and have no plans to do so in the future.

And I thank you again for the offer.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 06:05:01 pm »
just found the perfect avatar for you cogar.....seeing as how you are into nuts.....or am i barking up the wrong tree....