Author Topic: Brass "What's"?  (Read 4602 times)

Barn diggerette

• View Profile
Brass "What's"?
« on: September 09, 2013, 01:41:06 pm »
 Good afternoon to all, I found this little gem at a yard sale benefitting abused women and children. I paid $2.00

for it and am curious as to what it is! Does anybody have any ideas?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Brass "What's"?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 01:51:42 pm »
No !! You just hit post after getting the pics !! But you do have to use the "more attachments" after each one !!  And here lately some have had trouble because the upload time is so long !! Just takes a while !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:54:05 pm »
I am not sure what we are looking at with them in the box but they appear to be small vases with their base to sit them on !!

Barn diggerette

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:04:54 pm »
Thank you mart for the IT support and the brass "thingys". I finally figured out the routine for uploading here (after uploading twice). I will take some pics of them out of the box and with a tape rule up beside one. We thought about vase but they seem too small to hold any flowers. They seem to have a signature on them and that has my curiosity up. On the uploading, is it best practice to upload the full size image or does the board prefer compressed like the ones just posted?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 02:23:21 pm »
These are just fine !! If they are too big with phones ect then the enlargement is blurry !! These work well and I am on dial up !!  Take a close up of the signature you found but still same size for posting !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 05:00:32 pm »
These are small etched brass bud vases with stands. 

Import items that have been prevalent over the years. You can still buy them from companies in California, etc that import these wares.

These are most likely from the 80's to 90's.

Mart got the flower vase answer right!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 06:09:50 pm »
Like I have said before,, even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally !! ;D

Barn diggerette

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 06:15:55 pm »
Thank you both for your input on these. I am posting pics of the signatures of which either one does no match exactly. KC, when you say etched imports, do you mean that they are machine etched or hand etched? These have every indication of hand etching. If they are then wherever they came from must have a low economy and the people work for cheap. What am I saying, that's why we buy imports, DUH.

Barn diggerette

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 06:21:16 pm »
These are just fine !! If they are too big with phones ect then the enlargement is blurry !! These work well and I am on dial up !!  Take a close up of the signature you found but still same size for posting !!

I just cancelled my dial up because the web resources required these days made me wait forever between sreen refreshes. The great thing about dial up though is the bad guys can't put critters on your machine as easy.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 06:46:51 pm »
Are you in Texas by any chance ??

Actually many items like these are hand decorated !! Middle East countries,,India, Sri Lanka, and others where there are few jobs use this type of item as their income !! Same as Africa has various types of carvings for tourists !!  They can buy the blank items and decorate them at home !! They do not make the entire vase !! These can be sold to tourists or sold to the person that exports them and there are many buyers for places like Pier 1 Imports !!  Even our small town has an import shop !!  Then again there is Wal-Mart !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 06:54:09 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D A girl after your own heart mart! :) You both run at the same speed. Or did you pay her to write that! ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 07:39:30 pm »
Nope !!  Still have my pocket change !!  ;)

Barn diggerette

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 07:51:11 pm »
Are you in Texas by any chance ??Actually many items like these are hand decorated !! Middle East countries,,India, Sri Lanka, and others where there are few jobs use this type of item as their income !! Same as Africa has various types of carvings for tourists !!  They can buy the blank items and decorate them at home !! They do not make the entire vase !! These can be sold to tourists or sold to the person that exports them and there are many buyers for places like Pier 1 Imports !!  Even our small town has an import shop !!  Then again there is Wal-Mart !!
Is there anywhere else? Heck, it would take a lifetime just to get to the Texas border and then there may just be outer space past that. No oxygen to breathe or no manure to breathe.
 On the etchings, I reckon my job wasn't so bad after all. Ya'll (you all) have been great.   :o

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 07:57:47 pm »
Was pretty sure you were !!  You sound like me !!  What part of the state ?? I am NE Texas !!
And if you run out of manure,,,come see me, I have plenty !!  I will share !!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:59:55 pm by mart »

Barn diggerette

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 08:05:11 pm »
We're down here in Humble just NE of Houston. We're on the only farm left in town. Barns full of ancient stuff and some of which left behind by Humble Oil & Refining when they owned the land. Have an old porcelean enameled sign that reads Humble Oil & Refining / Well # 27. Sadly though, somebody had folded it in half for another use I reckon.