Author Topic: Does anyone recognize this chair?  (Read 6481 times)

kaiden22

• View Profile
Does anyone recognize this chair?
« on: September 14, 2013, 09:48:17 pm »
 We recently picked up 6 of these chairs at a garage sale because we love how unique they look.  The seats are.embossed leather and the back spindles and brads/nail embellishments are.brass.  The seller bought them from someone else and didn't know the history, but they seem pretty old.  Anyone recognize this style of chair?  We don't know anything about.antiques or how to identify them so any advice would be appreciated. We would love to.find out apx when/where they were. made Thank you!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognize this chair?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 08:55:51 am »
Can you flip the pic so we can see it upright ??  And take a good close pic of the underside of the seat please !!

kaiden22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:38:39 am »
I don't know why that posted sideways, but hopefully this works.  There is.a.number stenciled on the burlap under the chair.  Thanks!

kaiden22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 10:41:50 am »
Under side of chair..

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 10:56:14 am »
The forum code / software flips the image.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 11:35:23 am »
Does it seem to be a solid wooden seat ?? What is your location ?? UK ??

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 11:39:25 am »
Eastlake, ca. 1890s.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

kaiden22

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 11:46:03 am »

No, the seat is embossed leather with a burlap underlay.  We are in the US - Texas. 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 11:52:44 am »

No, the seat is embossed leather with a burlap underlay.  We are in the US - Texas. 
Gawd!!....another Texan.....i,m surrounded by em.....its becoming like the Alamo in reverse....only difference....i,m half Scottish....and not...Mexican.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 12:01:53 pm »

Well, Welcome from another Texan !!  Perhaps that explains the leather !!  I agree on the Eastlake style but they are slightly different from what is normally seen here !! Is there a pattern on the leather  ??

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 12:09:24 pm »

Gawd!!....another Texan.....i,m surrounded by em.....its becoming like the Alamo in reverse....only difference....i,m half Scottish....and not...Mexican.... ;D

Better look out Wullie !!  You may see us Texans marching across those Scottish highlands before long !!  ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 12:19:44 pm »
There,s enough of you as it is....over here...during the summer....and everyone you see ...are all searching for the same thing......Long Lost Scottish Ancestors...".Hi, y,all....I,m over here looking fur ma Scattish ancestors"..... ;D

kaiden22

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 12:43:20 pm »
Ha!  I am new to this site so i didn't realize.there.were so many of us on here
 :)  Yes.  The leather has a pattern... its framed in a braid design, with scrolling on the interior and a circle in the center with a smaller scroll.design.  Here is a pic of the seat... hopefully the pattern can be seen.  Thanks so much for all of the responses! We really appreciate your help in finding out about our chairs!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 02:50:05 pm »
Very nice  !! I think perhaps your chairs were not originally from the U.S !! They are much more in the style seen in the UK although can`t be certain !! Just in case you are wondering how these may have arrived from the UK to Texas,,back in the 1970`s there was a huge boom in antiques and prices were extremely good !! Many went to the UK and bought items like this as well china cabinets, halltrees, dining sets, and anything else they could for pennies on the dollar and shipped them to the U.S !! They went to anyone that would buy them by the trailer load !! I bought many things here in NE Texas from a warehouse when I had my shop !!  Your set of 6 chairs likely had a table with it at one time !!  Might be a bit earlier than 1890 as styles originating in the UK were usually later arriving here !! Look up Eastlake furniture or Charles Eastlake for some history !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 04:11:51 pm »
Very nice  !! I think perhaps your chairs were not originally from the U.S !! They are much more in the style seen in the UK although can`t be certain !! Just in case you are wondering how these may have arrived from the UK to Texas,,back in the 1970`s there was a huge boom in antiques and prices were extremely good !! Many went to the UK and bought items like this as well china cabinets, halltrees, dining sets, and anything else they could for pennies on the dollar and shipped them to the U.S !! They went to anyone that would buy them by the trailer load !! I bought many things here in NE Texas from a warehouse when I had my shop !!  Your set of 6 chairs likely had a table with it at one time !!  Might be a bit earlier than 1890 as styles originating in the UK were usually later arriving here !! Look up Eastlake furniture or Charles Eastlake for some history !!
yes those were the days....if you could,nt find a buyer here...stick it in a container...and send it to America....they buy anything...... ;D