Author Topic: Does anyone recognize this chair?  (Read 6480 times)

kaiden22

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognize this chair?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 05:10:21 pm »
Very nice  !! I think perhaps your chairs were not originally from the U.S !! They are much more in the style seen in the UK although can`t be certain !! Just in case you are wondering how these may have arrived from the UK to Texas,,back in the 1970`s there was a huge boom in antiques and prices were extremely good !! Many went to the UK and bought items like this as well china cabinets, halltrees, dining sets, and anything else they could for pennies on the dollar and shipped them to the U.S !! They went to anyone that would buy them by the trailer load !! I bought many things here in NE Texas from a warehouse when I had my shop !!  Your set of 6 chairs likely had a table with it at one time !!  Might be a bit earlier than 1890 as styles originating in the UK were usually later arriving here !! Look up Eastlake furniture or Charles Eastlake for some history !!

Thanks so.much for the info mart!  I will definitely check it out!  I did notice that every chair has a faint "K" engraved in the wood of the seat frame.  Do you know if that is.typical of an East lake piece?  I will keep doing some research... thanks again for all of the help and input! :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 06:51:18 pm »
No, but it may be the makers mark !!  Charles Eastlake was a designer and author and never made a single piece of furniture !! But he did have a shop where the designs were produced under his limited direction !! Other than that his designs were made by many both in the UK and here !!  They were free to interpret the book in whatever way they wished so even though the overall look is similar there can be a wide range of decorative additions !!  Where are you located in Texas ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 10:01:09 pm »
Welcome to another Texan!!!!!  Mart...we are growing in numbers here!  :)

Mart gave you some excellent information about the influx of pieces into the US and namely into Texas (South) from overseas.

Can you post a close up of the K you are describing please?  I'm just wondering if these have been recovered?  Maybe it is just me...but the seat and burlap just isn't showing the age I would expect.  (I know Wullie...most likely me!)

Wullie...Being of Scottish decent...my relatives got to Texas as fast as they could (which was a long time)!  LOLOL  But thank goodness for Scottish roots!  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:07:05 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kaiden22

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 06:17:27 am »
Welcome to another Texan!!!!!  Mart...we are growing in numbers here!  :)

Mart gave you some excellent information about the influx of pieces into the US and namely into Texas (South) from overseas.

Can you post a close up of the K you are describing please?  I'm just wondering if these have been recovered?  Maybe it is just me...but the seat and burlap just isn't showing the age I would expect.  (I know Wullie...most likely me!)

Wullie...Being of Scottish decent...my relatives got to Texas as fast as they could (which was a long time)!  LOLOL  But thank goodness for Scottish roots!  

I took the seat in best condition to show the pattern, but all of the chairs have cracking in the leather, unfortunately some much more than others. We will probably have them.recovered eventually, but for now they still look very cool.  I took a pic of the "k" but I don't know.if.it.will show up too well.  Every seat has one lightly carved into the wood under the seat.

Mart - thanks so much again!  I didn't research far.enough.to realize that Eastlake was the style design and not the actual maker.  I appreciate the clarification
  And we are in the Houston area - which part of Texas are.you.in?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 10:47:56 am »
Mart,s in the Boonies...in the NW.....and she,s 4 days from anywhere....and the stage does,nt run when its raining.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 10:53:28 am »
I am in Mt Pleasant,,, KC is west of DFW !!  When I had my shop late 70`s  and 80`s this stuff was coming in by droves !!  Still,, even though Eastlake style is not as popular as others,, it is usually good solid furniture with the possibility of increasing in value !!  Do not change the covers !! Are you sure they are leather ?? Look at the edge to tell !! If the covers are changed or they are refi your value is reduced by as much as 50% !! If it is real leather try Lexol leather conditioner !! The cracking is to be expected and is normal !!  Just treat it like a saddle that needs oiling !!
If you just want to improve the look for your use add a cushion that ties !!  Most of the value in antiques is in the originality !!

kaiden22

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 11:08:22 am »
Thanks the tip, Mart!  I was planning to use seat cushions for now, just to protect the leather from further damage if we decided to keep it as is.  I will definitely try the oiling.  Honestly, I don't know how to determine if it's real leather, but the parts that have worn off have a suede appearance now, so I assume it's real leather.  As far as value goes, we got the set of 6 for $100 - just over $16 per chair.  We weren't expecting to purchase them as an investment, but if there is some history worth protecting we will do our best to preserve the quality.  Thanks again everyone! :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 11:16:03 am »
Where the surface is worn to that suede look go around it with the conditioner !! Just in case it isn't leather (think it is but just to be safe) whatever you do to it,, try a small area maybe on the back first to see what it does !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 11:16:11 am »
That was a very reasonable price to pay.

kaiden22

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 11:23:14 am »
Where the surface is worn to that suede look go around it with the conditioner !! Just in case it isn't leather (think it is but just to be safe) whatever you do to it,, try a small area maybe on the back first to see what it does !!

Great - will do!!  Thanks so much again!!  ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 12:04:14 am »
Great price for them!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!