Author Topic: Bayonets  (Read 5497 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Bayonets
« on: September 17, 2013, 08:23:30 am »
I have several collectors after me to sell these war souvenir bayonets that my dad brought back from the European theater of WWII - they may be German and/or French. However, I have no idea what a good asking price would be. There are three and they all have their original leather scabbards - photo shows them outside and beside the scabbards.

Ipcress

Re: Bayonets
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:31:06 am »
Before i post the types and their value, i need a maker for the bayonet at the bottom of the picture. Will be on the area of the blade called the ricasso, nearest the hilt / handle

In fact all of them should have marks
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:33:29 am by Ipcress »

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 12:14:06 pm »
Markers from top to bottom:

#1) Hemburg on one side and the numbers 4112 on the other with a symbol I can't make out (photo)

#2) This one just has some numbers (see next 2 photos)

#3) Coppel GmbH and on the opposite side of the blade are some numbers - 7143 and a 1 under that

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 12:56:06 pm »
Top - Dutch Mannlicher bayonet. You've written Hemburg but it should be Hembrug.

Middle - French Berthier bayonet.

Bottom - the best one, a German K98 Mauser bayonet with the lovely blue steel finish to the blade.

And you have all the scabbards and the frogs ( the leather belt parts ) and they haven't been cleaned. They look great.
On the bottom one - any other marks, maybe on the pommel ( metal part at the end of the grip / opposite end to the blade tip ). Also check the scabbard and frog. There might be something that indicates a particular regiment.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:00:50 pm by Ipcress »

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 01:31:55 pm »
The bottom one, I can't find any more marks on the metal parts, but there are some on the back of the scabbard. The top one has an all-leather scabbard, the other two are a combo of metal and leather.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 02:13:20 pm »
You should have no problems selling the Mauser K98 ....here,s one for sale on ebay..finishing within the next hour and a bit....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-GERMAN-K98-MAUSER-BAYONET-LUFTWAFFE-BROWN-FROG-REALLY-NICE-ONE-/200962474910
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 02:19:54 pm »
Yikes! My dad tired to sell them for $25 each about 40 years ago and had no takers.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 02:27:49 pm »
Times have changed...German military  memorabilia...fetch es good money now...and as your bayonet is complete and original...and has the matching scabbard and frog....coupled with the date stamp...you should have no problem selling it....it,ll be interesting to see what that other one fetches...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 02:46:54 pm »
Don`t you dare sell those at a garage sale unless you can get what they are actually worth in cash !!!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 03:00:59 pm »
That's probably why I don't sell much. I research what I feel is better than "run of the mill" garage sale junk and ask a fair market value. However, people seem to have  a "tag sale mentality" that nothing at a garage sale should be over 25¢. I can tell when they start to look, roll their eyes and suck air. When I say to them that a certain items is worth so and so, they usually reply "It's worth what I am willing to pay for it!" When I put a sign out that says "ESTATE SALE" I don't get as many people stopping. They probably figure "ESTATE" mean "higher prices" and they are correct. I could probably ask $500 for the three bayonets and not be over the mark, but try that at a garage sale. It annoys me to no end that they would go to a so-called "antique" store and pay $50 for something they wouldn't pay 50¢ for at a garage sale. I once advertised my sale with this disclaimer "If you are looking for cheap junk, this will NOT be the sale for you." I guess it wasn't to anyone because no one stopped that day. The antique and collectibles market seem to be really depressed here.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 03:03:50 pm by debodun »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 03:02:23 pm »
There is an interesting and sad story regarding Alexander Coppel, the Jewish manufacturer of your bayonet. It's worth researching, for an example of a low period in human history.

Ipcress

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 03:02:54 pm »
Yikes! My dad tired to sell them for $25 each about 40 years ago and had no takers.

You want about $450 for the lot. Top to bottom - 100, 100, 250.

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 03:06:05 pm »
Well, I can start at $500 and dicker down to $450 when I get ready to sell. My mother was the collector and I have a lot of her stuff (Depression glass, china, etc). I don't have much of dad's things, so I am more reluctant to part with his things.

Ipcress

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 03:09:21 pm »
Well, I can start at $500 and dicker down to $450 when I get ready to sell. My mother was the collector and I have a lot of her stuff (Depression glass, china, etc). I don't have much of dad's things, so I am more reluctant to part with his things.

Yes, that's the best way. Don't be too stoic with the Dutch and French bayonets but you don't want to budge a cent on the Mauser. You could test the water at $300 but not any less than $250 with those marks and the frog

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 03:11:06 pm »
Thanks for the advice and values!