Author Topic: Noob seeking help on small vintage / antique brass tray  (Read 7081 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Noob seeking help on small vintage / antique brass tray
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 05:25:26 pm »
Likely not Wullie !! You always manage to lose me somewhere in the conversation !! :D

Wish some of these things were that easy but they rarely are !!  When they made things like this they didn`t think about someone in the future trying to figure out who they were !! They were just simple utilitarian items to be used and decoration was usually for their own benefit,, they wanted something pretty !!  This the same for most cultures,,ours included !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 06:13:59 pm »
Likely not Wullie !! You always manage to lose me somewhere in the conversation !! :D

Wish some of these things were that easy but they rarely are !!  When they made things like this they didn`t think about someone in the future trying to figure out who they were !! They were just simple utilitarian items to be used and decoration was usually for their own benefit,, they wanted something pretty !!  This the same for most cultures,,ours included !!
just google Florence..Dougal... and Zebedee....all will be made clear.....as mud... :D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 12:33:10 am »
I agree with Mart....these "2".s ...are merely decorative squiggles...had they been a 2 then i,d expect  them to have uniformity..instead of the random way they have been inscribed....value wise...i don,t see this fetching much more than £10.....and thats with a Hurricane behind it....

Possibly a little premature to put a value on it without knowing what it is, where it came from, and its age. Just because it appears a little unsophisticated doesn't need to reflect the value.
Why I was suggesting a Passover Seder plate or tray is because of the six 'recesses'. It could have had six glass or ceramic bowls that sat in them, each bowl containing one of the six symbolic foods ... but for the life of me I can't recall more than bitter herbs! These would only have been a symbolic table setting, so didn't have to be particularly large. It ned not even have had the bowls, but used as it is.
The pattern, 2, looks like a twisted ribbon pattern, but I can't think of any significance there. But I could be miles out!

And good morning Zebedee ... for all those across the Pond they are characters from the Magic Roundabout, or more appropriately in the original French as Le Manège enchanté. This was a 'children's' short from the '60s & '70s that used  stop start animation.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:37:36 am by mariok54 »

veronicathecow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 02:47:33 am »
Boing said Tony. UK based so crashed out late last night (late for me, I'm an early bird normally)
I wondered if it was a tea lights tray warming stuff but it looked older than tea lights? (anyone know when tea light were first used.)
the pattern on the "2" is one thing but I'm not sure how you might describe the main pattern other than "floral"??
Thanks to all for your kind suggestions
Tony

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 02:52:55 am »
Not deep enough to be a tea lights holder....for if that was the case..then there would have been a top part....that sat above...still inclined towards a tea tray...

veronicathecow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 03:16:28 pm »
Hi Bigwull, yes that does make sense. There are a couple of other things items I am not sure of, will have to dig them out some time
Thanks again
Tony (boing)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 03:42:33 pm »

you might remember these guys better....seeing as how they were  from your side of the pond.....they were a great antidote....after i,d partaken of too much M.A.D.s ;D

Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper an' Snork

veronicathecow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 03:46:12 pm »
Ah the good old days!
One banana, two banana, three banana, four
Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more.
Over hill and highway the banana buggies go
Comin'on to bring you the Banana Splits show

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 04:06:48 pm »
Somehow Howdy Doody and the Peanut Gallery don`t seem to fit here !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 04:24:01 pm »
Your sheltered life springs to mind.....Not that it was a bad thing....quite the contrary....I just could,nt imagine you dancing round the tele on a Saturday morning...in your birthday suit,.tra la ing...to the four freaks....with a spliff in your hand.....or your eyes the size of gobstoppers.....yup ...those were the days.....and the nights were even crazier.....2 tabs of Purple Haze....took me to the Moon and Back.....and many crazy places in between.... ;D....then in 1971 i discovered Mescaline.......... ...Whoooooooooooooo ooooeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!.....2 drops in the eye....and off i went......was up for 12 hours solid.....and the come down....was,nt too bad.....mind you...i never gave a thought to the zillions of brain cells that were destoyed in the processs.....i,m just thankful that they were the ones...i did,nt need.... ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 10:39:30 pm »

Agree with Mart on the seder plate...here is one similar!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 12:28:03 am »

Well found KC, and I don't mind you giving the credit to mart ... after all it is 'Be kind to a Texan Day' over here in the UK

veronicathecow

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 03:26:43 am »
Hi mariok54 thanks for pics and suggestions.
Anyone have an idea of a date for this?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2013, 07:34:22 am »

Ooops !!  Twas Mario on that one !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2013, 07:39:25 am »

Well found KC, and I don't mind you giving the credit to mart ... after all it is 'Be kind to a Texan Day' over here in the UK

Nice to know we are remembered somewhere in the world !!