Author Topic: This Old Cat?  (Read 5085 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
This Old Cat?
« on: September 20, 2013, 08:41:39 am »
I purchased this old cat from the TS a few months ago and as wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

I think it's made out of some type of black slate, shale or stone. It measures about 4 1/2 inches in length and about 3 1/4 inches in height.

Does anyone know where and when it may have been made?

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="687" height="2029" border="0

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: This Old Cat?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 10:27:25 am »
it is difficult to see the texture of the back, but has this been molded from a cast? It seems to have been coated as there are signs of it bleeding to the rear

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 12:48:26 pm »
Hot pin test ??  Looks like a stylized leopard !! Ears too short for housecat !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 01:23:18 pm »
Looks like a piece of Inuit Art.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 08:09:36 pm »
It's not a resin, hot pin test failed. It's definitely some type of black stone like slate, it weighs about 12 ounces. It's a bit shinny on the top & top front area like it had been polished at one time. The front is hazy from light wear / scratches. The back resembles the rough side of cut black slate. I seem to remember that in the 1800's or early 1900's there was a black stone mined to make figurines and other things somewhere perhaps in the middle east, I'm not sure.

It's also definitely not molded from a cast or anything else, it's hand carved for sure. Mart, you're link you gave I can't bring up, it's way too heavy with lots of images, your network must be a lot faster than my slow network but thanks for it I just wish I could have seen what you were referencing.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 08:28:33 pm »
I am on dial up !!  No system is slower than mine !!  Try googling "small carved slate crouching cat" then click Images, when the first page comes up scroll down,, the one I caw was an eagle with a person or something !! Couldn`t see it in detail !! It just kind of looked similar !!  I couldn`t see it all either !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 08:39:02 pm »
Mart, I'm on dialup too, about 3.5 kb per second. The page is too large for my slow network.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 08:41:16 pm »
Bigwull, don't know if it's Inuit, I'm not sure. I thought I remembered that you liked native American Indian pottery. I picked this one up from the TS today for $1.90, seemed like a good deal. I haven't tried to research it yet. I'm starting to get a collection of these types of pots.

" width="646" height="961" border="0

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 09:06:06 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bernice-watchman-Navajo-Handmade-Pottery-Vase-/251323800490

Here you go !! Value not a lot but likely more than what you paid !!  She does nice work !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 09:12:44 pm »
https://www.google.com/search?q=small+carved+slate+crouching+cat&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7g09Usn-IpTb4AOch4HAAw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=662&dpr=1

This is the google page for the carving I was talking about !! Scroll down till you find the eagle !! It just has a similar look to it !!  Think its a Canadian site !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 09:25:32 pm »
This 'cat' item is not Inuit , nor an antique item , KevinM .

As to the material it's made from ....well .... pretty sure it's not stone (unless it's very very soft) ... only (as stonemasons/stonecutters call it) 'bastard' stone (talc , Gypsum , ect.) could be soft enough to use tools such as those that left the striated tool-marks on the back of your item ... even soft stone such as alabaster or onyx (etc.) couldn't be cut in such a manner .

The toolmarks on the back sure do look like those that would be left by a tool resembling a putty knife , as for use in resins , faux/cultured-stone or clay , rather than a stone chisel !

I'd put my guess (considering its' design) as asian manufacture , as a decorative/crafty 'native' item . Looks like the leopard/jaguar was hand-embellished , perhaps after the material had dried & been coated/glazed .

I'd be sorry to say that this one won't fund your retirement , though ...

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 11:06:30 pm »
Mart, thanks for the links and reply. Yes, she does do nice work, that's why I purchased it, I really like the detail in this one.

fancypants, don't be sorry, I'm not looking for funding to retire.... :)

Anyways, like I was saying, it's definitely some type of black rock like slate of some type, I've handled more slate in my lifetime than I've wanted to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slate

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 12:32:05 am »
When I first saw it I was thinking Soapstone, and so all you Canadians out there would have recognised it straight off ... but then the back worried me.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:40:01 am by mariok54 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 07:50:52 am »
Me too Mario !! I tend to agree with Fancypants on the tool marks !!  Not normal for stone nor are the marks in the carving !!  I was wondering if it was done with a dremel !!