Author Topic: This Old Cat?  (Read 5086 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Re: This Old Cat?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 08:02:56 am »
BTW, it's also very cold to the touch. I'm sure it's not a resin or composite.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 09:04:29 am »
I am on dial up !!  No system is slower than mine !!  Try googling "small carved slate crouching cat" then click Images, when the first page comes up scroll down,, the one I caw was an eagle with a person or something !! Couldn`t see it in detail !! It just kind of looked similar !!  I couldn`t see it all either !!
That,s for sure....but in an emergency  You could always revert back to these guys Mart..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 09:14:41 am »
BTW, it's also very cold to the touch. I'm sure it's not a resin or composite.

Reminds me of a piece of Black Pipestone: http://www.rocksandminerals.com/specimens/steatite.htm

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 09:18:49 am »
This is a little soapstone figure that I have, compare the underside with the back of your cat

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 10:42:39 am »
I've just Googled him probably for the first time, and that Al Wolf chap certainly was prolific!! maybe he lives in a part of Canada that has loooooonnng winters

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 10:11:24 pm »
Rauville, I think you have nailed the type of rock that it is, Steatite (Black Pipestone). It does feel soapy to the touch so I guess it could also be soapstone but I'm thinking Steatite. I've done some searches on it and have found a lot of references for it and carved statues, figurines and other items going way back.

Thanks mariok54 for posting those images, it does resemble the rock I have so I'm not positive if it's one or the other but it looks like there is references to Steatite as soapstone on some sites that I have seen. BTW, I like that soapstone figure you have!