Author Topic: Help on chairs please  (Read 6932 times)

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Help on chairs please
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 12:02:31 pm »
Don't stay away from antiques !! Just find a niche, and furniture may not be it   ;)

missnesss

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 12:26:27 pm »
:) Good advice!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 12:29:07 pm »
Don't stay away.  Just take a little more time in research. The advice about EBAY is great for you! Research doesn't have to be hours and hours like us nimwits do on here for fun! :O
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 12:31:50 pm »
Never take furniture at face value !! What you can`t see is much more important than what you can see !!

missnesss

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 12:39:35 pm »
Now I'm really confused! :) What do you mean by what you can't see?

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 12:49:16 pm »
I think that mart was referring to what you had already alluded to in your earlier post .... wear ... joints ... modern screws etc. Things you would be able to see if you could touch the item, say in an actual sale   ;)

missnesss

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 12:53:06 pm »
Ah ok thanks. I think i'm going to ask the seller to send me some more pics, I'm supposed to be collecting on Tuesday, if she sends them is it ok for me to put them up here for a low down? I'm assuming I need pics of underside, any stamp marks and pics of joints

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2013, 12:58:43 pm »
By all means do that, and you never know it may prove interesting.there are people on this forum who are experts when it comes to joints and undersides .. and no double entendre  (as if)

If the seller questions why you want them, then you can question the wording of her listing, '16th Century', that might or might not  worry her.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2013, 01:03:21 pm »
Mid 20th century.

Dining room sets were not made in the 15th, 16th, 17th or pretty much any century until the 19th, and the golden age of matched dining room furniture was in the mid 20th. Mart may be right; these may very well be 1970s.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

missnesss

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2013, 01:12:25 pm »
Yes this did enter my mind too! I knew there was something bugging me about them apart from not knowing how to tell their age, i've sent a message asking for extra pics on the pretence my buyer isn't convince of their age, why I just don't man/woman up  I don't know

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2013, 01:23:00 pm »
Yes this did enter my mind too! I knew there was something bugging me about them apart from not knowing how to tell their age, i've sent a message asking for extra pics on the pretence my buyer isn't convince of their age, why I just don't man/woman up  I don't know

Why 'man up' unless you have to. The ball is in their court now, and if it comes to the point when you decide they're not as advertised then just pull out of the sale and give your reasons then. If the seller creates you have nothing to worry about, Ebay will be on your side as the buyer, but I doubt whether it will come to that. You will probably just be referred to as .... 'Re-listed because of time waster'... I'd rather be called a time-waster than part with £131.99   ;)

missnesss

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 01:27:38 pm »
Yes you are quite right, I have messaged seller and explained that based on research blah... they didn't make uphostered dining sets in the 16th c :) (can't believe i have just typed that yet believed it at time which was only 2 days ago!) so please sell to next highest bidder etc, as you say if she is right then I have lost a very valuable item and will get a strike against me although as you also say very unlikely, live and learn, lesson learnt, didn't hurt thankfully to you guys and gals :)

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 01:35:26 pm »
look forward to your next item   ;)

missnesss

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2013, 01:40:03 pm »
I feel I have lost some credibilty before I have begun! If only I'd shown you the boxed mahogany victorian cutlery set that I bought for a tenner (fluke)   right that's it, wait to be amazed....:)

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2013, 01:49:23 pm »
Flukes are only admitted to by honest souls ... others call them the results of expertise