Author Topic: NEW COMEING ACTION  (Read 3287 times)

Ipcress

Re: NEW COMEING ACTION
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 08:17:40 am »
It also looks like Horace, or something similar, to me but I can't see anywhere that says Orazio signed himself Horace.
I would still like to know exactly what the full inscription is

It's not by him, that's why.

I was working on that assumption

That's why there are no other examples like this. It's similar to when someone copies the work of an artist who would normally sign his full name. The copier, or " follower " as it's referred to, will sign the Christian name with an initial. So Thomas Gainsborough is signed T Gainsborough.

I expect we'll see more of these in the next few months. I doubt it's worth the estimate.

( this is all going on the partial inscription we have. There is no other figure / sculpture attributed to a " Horace Andreoni " on the internet )

Ipcress

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 08:20:30 am »
If the Auction House have put that estimate on it then they must have some idea as to who the sculptor is. Why not contact them and ask them who they are attributing it to?

Not necessarily. See it all the time, especially in the US. Massive estimates on copies / fakes / things that aren't as old as they're described. I regularly see 20th century figurines described as 18th century Chelsea or Meissen. The same goes for Oriental items.

" A Qianlong blue and white plate " and it's just come off the boat.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 08:41:04 am »
Goes to what I said in another post !! Be skeptical of anything someone is trying to sell you !!  Because an item is in that style,, doesn`t mean it is of that era or style !!