Author Topic: Antique poker box with a pair of matching percussion pistols  (Read 6225 times)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Re: Antique poker box with a pair of matching percussion pistols
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 05:38:36 am »
Thought so. Belgian. Liege proof marks and dates them around 1900

Hmmmm, the feds consider any gun manufactured on or before 1898 as an antique and exempt from  federal gun laws. It would be ALOT easier to sell  what looks like a late 19th century gamblers kit if  guns were made before 1898. Some of these gamblers kits are very valuable, naturally, it all depends on the details, date of guns, is kit complete, condition, etc. I would have this checked by an appraiser that specializes in arms.

Ipcress

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 05:52:20 am »
Thought so. Belgian. Liege proof marks and dates them around 1900

Hmmmm, the feds consider any gun manufactured on or before 1898 as an antique and exempt from  federal gun laws. It would be ALOT easier to sell  what looks like a late 19th century gamblers kit if  guns were made before 1898. Some of these gamblers kits are very valuable, naturally, it all depends on the details, date of guns, is kit complete, condition, etc. I would have this checked by an appraiser that specializes in arms.

Strictly speaking those marks date it 1893 or later. It's the other items which are giving me a date of around 1900. Therefore an auction house can date the pistols as circa 1893, thus ' navigating ' the law.

The case deserves to be in a really fine sale. Depends where the original poster is in the US.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 07:38:49 am »

I wouldn’t worry about running afoul of the law with that pair of muff pistols. Black powder muzzle loading firearms have always been exempt from federal firearms laws, regardless of age. Some state and local governments might have an ordinance regarding the carrying of them loaded, but common sense would keep you out of trouble.

Ipcress

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 08:00:50 am »
That's the law here in the UK. Percussion pistols like these are fine. It's pinfire which are illegal without the relevant documents / deactivation certs.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 10:11:45 am »
Yeah, the whole gun thing here in the USA is weird considering that the constitution says "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Bottom line? if it's 1898 or earlier, anyone can sell those guns, if it's 1899 or later, you need a federal gun license to sell arms.

tjl11683

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 03:54:45 am »
Thanks for everyone's help.  I decided to list the box for sale on gunsamerica.com for $1,750.00 which I think is a reasonable price.  Here is the link if anyone is interested.  Thanks again for all of your input.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/978007314/Poker_Case_with_matching_percussion_pistols.htm

Ipcress

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 07:09:56 am »
The proof mark is ELG, not LEG.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 08:55:35 am »
Beat me to it Ipcress!  Good catch!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

tjl11683

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 05:35:20 pm »
Thanks! noted and corrected.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 11:04:46 am »
Finally found the site I was looking for...try and contact these folks and see what they have to say
http://www.oldwestantiques.biz/page19.php#

The thing that is so unique about yours is dueling pistols!  Typical to see a single pistol!  Some examples..

ANTIQUE PISTOL, GAMBLERS TRAVEL BOX, CARDS & CHIPS realized $900 at auction but different gun
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6901741

1890's Gamblers Box
http://www.purecowboy.us/1890%27s%20Antique%20Gambler%27s%20Set%20with%20Derringer.htm
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 11:17:19 am »
agrees, the ones i have seen that command big money had a single pistol, usually a colt revolver with gambling items that were identified with a known gambler

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 11:38:27 am »
Although I am very anti gun....i,ll have to say that i don,t think these are duelling pistols...duelling pistols generally have a longer barrel...these short barreled pistols..would have a very limited range...coupled with the fact that they are smooth bored,...means ..that very quickly after the ball has left the muzzle..the effective range...would be minimal.....not 20yds..as was the norm distance......but could be closer..depending on the severity of the insult...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 11:59:19 am »
They're just pocket percussion pistols.

Place them in your trousers and when the guy opposite cheats a Royal Flush, shoot his knackers off  ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 12:26:40 pm »
Yeah!!...wide eye,d and ball less....as opposed to wide eye,d and legless..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 02:41:31 pm »
Yeah!!...wide eye,d and ball less....as opposed to wide eye,d and legless..... ;D

Really...with the few chips in this kit the game probably never lasted long enough to have to shoot it out.:D