Author Topic: Ebay auction, or local Syracuse auction?  (Read 9845 times)

edweather

• View Profile
Ebay auction, or local Syracuse auction?
« on: September 25, 2013, 06:35:48 pm »
I currently have an item listed on eBay, and am considering possibly selling it locally an auction.  Just curious what the pros and cons might be of each.  It's a 19th century antique French wood carved thermometer ca.1835,  6' tall and 6" wide.  I'm sure it's worth $1000, and possibly much more.  The only thing weird about it is that it's 'local pick-up only' on eBay.  Too fragile to ship.  I have pictures if necessary.  Didn't want to include a shameless plug in the form of link to it on eBay......wasn't sure if that was ok to do or not. Thanks.  Ed

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay auction, or local Syracuse auction?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 06:57:26 pm »
Picture is necessary.  Everyone likes to see what they are discussing.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 07:09:03 pm »
 Just post the same pic you used on ebay here !! Its simple to do !! Just click on additional options at the bottom when you reply, then browse for the pic and open it, then post it !! It has been taking a while for the pics to load depending on the size so give it time !!  Have you had any interest on the ebay listing ?? You can post a link for questions, just not for sales !! We try to keep the site informational only !! Welcome to the group !!  Hope you enjoy it !!

edweather

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 07:38:12 pm »
OK, thanks.  The local auctioneer said that the auctions don't get going around her until mid Oct, so yesterday I listed it on eBay in the mean time.  1 watcher so far.  Thanks.  Ed  
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:12:11 pm by edweather »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 12:43:34 pm »
There are so many different prices out there. Did you have this appraise? Is there a makers mark?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

edweather

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 01:11:03 pm »
No makers mark that I can see.  Will look again.  All I really can assume is that it's French, because the writing on it is in French.  Last night I sent an application to Christies for an auction estimate.  Might not be to their level, but figured it was worth a try.  At least they will know the man I received it from.  Tony Victoria is very well know in NYC.  Here's the link to the eBay listing.  There are 12 photos there. Thanks.  ed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271284879146?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_286wt_917

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 01:22:25 pm »
Damaged though, isn't it ? Rubbed along the gauge / scale. Gilding rubbed, with some of that gesson type decotation has been lost.

In good condition i've have said a few hundred pounds, maybe more. Pics aren't that clear

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 01:31:24 pm »
From what i see ...you are being a tad fanciful...with your estimation of its value....personally .....irrespective of who you got it from....i think you,ll be keeping this....furthermore ...by the looks of it..it has mercury...in it....and if so....then its really not saleable..as mercury...is classified as a hazardous metal....very poisonous...and as you are saying the tube has lost its vacuum..then there is a possibility...that mercury vapour can leak out....Now i do know that there are barometers that have mercury in them and they are saleable....but...n ot if they have a perished glass tube....if i were you i,d check...first....fo r you could end up being sued...if a prospective buyer...came in contact with the mercury..or even the remnants of it.....its very cancerogenic
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 01:35:22 pm »
i think you are being too generous Ipcress...up here ...i could,nt see this selling....its that bad.....and if the tube is broken and even if there is no visible mercury..there will still be deposits....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 01:49:28 pm »
I personally think this person ripped you off !! Its not a quality as it is to bring more than a few hundred !! The provenance only says this is what it "might be" which is virtually worthless !!  Add to that the fact that all the buyer would get is a piece of wood that used to be a thermometer and I just do not see it selling at that price !! If it does I don`t think the buyer will be happy !!

Ipcress

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 02:30:08 pm »
I've seen ones in need of restoration still make a few hundred but as i say, the pics are too poor quality to make a firm valuation but in good condition this would certainly be a few hundred at least

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 03:11:32 pm »
I assume that is with a working thermometer ??

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 03:42:48 pm »
Let me get this straight,...the tag has a price of $16,000,00....that i assume is the asking price...prior to you getting it..in settlement for an unpaid bill,..of..$3800,...you of course would be thinking....yippee. .i,m going to make money out of this...but I would have asked..why is this well known Gallery owner giving me an item that has a $16,000,00 price tag..in leu of an unpaid bill of $3,500....that,s the odd thing...but..you got it.....then...20 odd years later....you come on here...looking for info..that..by all accounts you already have.....then you say you think its worth $1000...or more....if you ask me...you,d have been better taking the money in 1988.....

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:50:37 pm by bigwull »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 07:12:53 pm »
I assumed the guy didn`t want to give or didn`t have $3500. to pay him !!  Like I said,, he got ripped off !!

edweather

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 07:59:24 pm »
My goodness, how much negativity and pent up frustration can there possibly be in one thread.  Well......I've seen more :-).......much more. 

Hey folks, I will take everything you say and evaluate it. 

So, OK, let's back up a second.  First of all, Anthony Victoria, son of Frederick P Victoria has a good reputation that speaks for itself in NYC antique circles.  I am now a meteorologist, and at the time I and my business partner, eack picked an item we "liked" as payment for a job we did for him.  I was totally satisfied with the exchange, and still am. 

So I'm trying to sell it now for whatever I can get for it.  Not a big deal.  Not too worried about the money, but probably won't sell it for $100.  Just would like to be rid of it before my six year old crashes into it.

Let's keep it light.  Sorry I struck so many nerves.

Peace.

BTW, I showed this thermometer on this site a few years ago, and you guys thought it was nice.

http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=5518.msg16954#msg16954

Did a whole lot change from then to now?