Author Topic: Ebay auction, or local Syracuse auction?  (Read 9842 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Ebay auction, or local Syracuse auction?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 08:37:44 pm »
Well, that was in 2009 and some of those members are not here anymore !! But, Dean Perdue and D&B Antiques only gave you a $350. value !! We are not being negative, just stating what we think !!

Ipcress

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 08:42:09 pm »
Ed, you see the picture you've uploaded on Ebay of the base at the front ? Can you post that on here please ?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 09:01:56 pm »
Only thing I see on that pic Ipcress is a couple of stickers which I find odd !!  Who puts stickers on the face of something they want $16,000. for ??  And that is just a copy of the sales tag not anything that would verify what they say !!  Since all this happened in the 80`s and I am well aware of what many of the dealers were paying for items like this,, I still think he got ripped off !!
But on a good note,, now there are two watchers on his ebay listing !!

Ipcress

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 09:06:38 pm »
That's the back, Mart. The front has what looks like a possible makers name

The listing title on Ebay could be better, too.Doesn't have the word French in there.

edweather

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 09:46:17 pm »
Ipcress, the word french was in the listing further down next to Maker:

Now the word French is in the title where it should be.

Sure, here's the photo of the bottom of the front

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 10:29:14 pm »
I was on there back then...and I still haven't had my question answered...what are the French words?

Also, the market has changed markedly since that time...and it hasn't been for the better on many items.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

edweather

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 11:49:30 pm »
The French words are related to the temperature and degrees, like 'glace' for ice at 0C, 'orangers' at 6C, for oranges....not sure why.  Maybe critical temp for oranges :-) There are other French words too.  Definitely French item, about the only thing I'm sure of.  Also Anthony Victoria specialized in French antiques.

Ipcress

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 02:03:35 am »
Not clear enough, Ed. I need an image of those words which curve with the decoration. They're mostly rubbed out but i think i might be able to read them. An image of each side please.

edweather

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 07:33:38 am »
Those words are french words relating to the thermometer, not a maker mark.  I can read them.  if I have a moment I'll go downstairs later and check them out.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 08:16:10 am »
No need to apologise....no raw nerves have been struck....we are just giving our opinions as to what we think its worth now...although it was never worth the asking price at the start....Everyone knows that many gallery owners stick a price on something....knowin g full well...if some fool is prepared to pay that..well and good...but if not...and they have to haggle down...they still come up trumps as the item...has most likely been marked up a thousand fold...or more....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 09:24:28 am »
Once had a couple who returned from New York with a large decorative clock. Bought from a swanky department store with a price tag which said " Reduced " and $15,000 crossed out and replaced with $4,000.  A modern copy of an extravagant 19th century French clock.

It fetched £200 at auction after the young lady decided to sell it due to space.
These stores and shops are preying on the naivety and ignorance of buyers like that.

edweather

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 10:25:40 am »
Guess my original question got lost in the haze.  At least eBay lets you put a reserve on it, and our Syracuse guy doesn't.

Ipcress

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 10:27:57 am »
What does it say on the lower section then ?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 10:36:13 am »
To answer your original question,,Ebay is always your best bet in my opinion !! 20 to 30% fee at smaller auctions hardly seem worth the trouble since like you said there is no reserve on most !! Whatever it sells for,,less the percentage,,is what you get !!  You have no control !!

edweather

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 01:44:08 pm »
Thanks for the eBay vote.  Yeah, a little more control on my end.

When I get home tonight I will read everything I can on the thermometer.  Probably won't be until late though. In the eBay photo I see it says 'de malade' on the right side of 17C.  Malade translates to 'sick' in French.  Not sure what gets sick at 17C.  Will have to match it to the left side for a clue.