Author Topic: Possible Colonial Dresser  (Read 7836 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Possible Colonial Dresser
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 06:31:00 pm »
 There is no way to accurately say where it is from originally being as we are only looking at pics !! My personal opinion is that it is not American in the traditional sense, although could have been made here using other construction methods as the others have said !!   And I do not think it English !!  France or Germany a much stronger possibility !!  I did not consider Germany as I thought it lacked some of the strength normally seen in their furniture !!  But,, who knows !! I think we are pretty much in agreement on approx. time period !!  Another thing that you need to remember when buying is that memories are not always accurate !! Irregardless its still nice and worth restoring in my opinion !! That book matched wood would be gorgeous !! If the pulls are wood they should be easy to match !! Or have made by anyone with a lathe !!

dustyn79

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 06:35:22 pm »
Thank all of you for the advice. Since I paid $80 for the piece I should make a buck or two!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 06:42:54 pm »
Darn,, would have been more here in NE Texas !!  You did well !!  Properly restored I think you will make a buck or two !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 09:23:36 pm »
Mart, they lucked out on that piece.  Probably a hair closer to you than me...and within 35 minutes of me.  Even if it was only 20 years old would be a great price!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 05:26:49 am »
No, the undulating ("serpentine") front, flame mahogany finish and the styling of the feet argue for a late rococo designation and date ca. 1855-65. I'd argue for NE U.S. for construction, though English is possible.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 05:37:56 am »
Although mart is right, it's impossible to authenticate old furniture through pics alone, i would argue against english because of the secondary wood, it was almost always oak in england during this time and this piece does not appear to have any oak. Another thing, the dovetails on drawer look more american than english to me in that it was common in america for apprentices to do much of the secondary (hidden) joinery work in cabinet shops and therefore more primitive than in england. Naturally, this is all speculation.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 10:48:57 am »
Does the top look original to the piece?  Does it come off?

The thing that is throwing me..are the feet!  The draped feet are reminiscent of mid to late 1800's. But, as noted by those above, the dove tailing, appearance of woods aren't typically seen from France.  (Remember I am a French furniture nut.)

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 11:10:22 am »
agrees, the feet are weird and, to old furniture people, important. This argues toward late 19th century victorian where they threw in everything, including the kitchen sink in design
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:13:31 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 02:11:46 pm »
Always possible that this is a transition piece !! Leaving one style behind and graduating into another !!  That part of our problem,, it doesn`t show a definitive style !!  Just a little bit of this and a little bit of that !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2013, 02:30:42 pm »
Does the top look original to the piece?  Does it come off?

The thing that is throwing me..are the feet!  The draped feet are reminiscent of mid to late 1800's. But, as noted by those above, the dove tailing, appearance of woods aren't typically seen from France.  (Remember I am a French furniture nut.)

Nuts!!....you can say that again..... ;D....I,m a bit of a nut as well.....as  Avril keeps telling me....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,