Author Topic: Browning "Sweet 16" Shotgun  (Read 9801 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Browning "Sweet 16" Shotgun
« on: September 29, 2013, 07:16:23 am »
I inherited this Browning "Sweet 16" single-barrel shotgun. I remember my dad getting it in the late 1950s. It is made in Belgium and is about 4 feet long and weighs 8 pounds. It has a ribbed barrel and a modified stock (rubberized end). The serial number is S 53877. My uncle cleaned it and said it is in excellent condition (95 - 98%). I've had an offer of $200 for it. I believe it may be worth more than that. I've been looking around and the prices I've found fluctuate widely. Can anyone here evaluate this firearm?

Ipcress

Re: Browning "Sweet 16" Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 08:34:12 am »
made in 1956 i think. Can you take an image of the stock butt, and also a few more round the lock, trigger ? Should be a few more markings that will help ascertain potential value.

Thanks

$200 is a joke of an offer.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:43:10 am by Ipcress »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:53:51 am »
Of course it's worth more than $200! If the stock has been shortened for the addition of the pad, it effects the value somewhat...but it still should be a $600 to $800 shotgun to anyone truly interested. You would see it in a shop or at a show priced at $1000+.
(Measure the "pull" length, the distance from the face of the trigger to the heel of the rubber pad. If it's 14 1/2" or so, it most likely has not been cut.)
Good luck!

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 08:58:54 am »
Of course it's worth more than $200! If the stock has been shortened for the addition of the pad, it effects the value somewhat...but it still should be a $600 to $800 shotgun to anyone truly interested. You would see it in a shop or at a show priced at $1000+.
(Measure the "pull" length, the distance from the face of the trigger to the heel of the rubber pad. If it's 14 1/2" or so, it most likely has not been cut.)
Good luck!

Yeah, that's why i wanted a close up of the stock butt. Maybe the pad is removable ?
There should also be a mark on the receiver / lock for the choke.

* = Full Choke
*- = Improved Modified
** = Modified (M)
**- = Improved Cylinder
**$ = Skeet
*** = Cylinder bore

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 09:22:49 am »
The "pull" is about 15 inches, if that helps any. I thought $200 was a low ball offer - that's why I refused it. The guy that made that offer said it was because the barrel had some rust inside, but when my uncle cleaned it, he said it was in "remarkable" condition for it's age and that guy was "full of it." Anyway, her are more photos.

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 09:24:26 am »
There are also some markings on the barrel that are difficult to see - they are partially obscured by the forestock.

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 09:41:50 am »
2 3/4" chamber, modified choke ( i think - partially obscured )

I'd be sticking a $1200 reserve on it, with a bit of descretion. Wonderful condition.

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 09:53:17 am »
I am dubious about selling firearms anyway. Although shotguns and rifles can be sold without the restrictions of handguns, it is still a weapon. Unless a collector buys it just to have it and not use it, but I can't be sure they won't. I don't like the idea of this gun killing or hurting animals, or worse, people. I only get it out when a person stops at my sale and asks if I have any hunting items. I always like to hear what they say, even an amusing offer like the $200.

Ipcress

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 09:58:37 am »
I respect that view. Have only ever sold deactivated firearms and antique percussion pistols.

Different world over there in America.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 11:05:50 am »
I am dubious about selling firearms anyway. Although shotguns and rifles can be sold without the restrictions of handguns,

Almost without .....

An individual who does not possess a federal firearms license may not sell a modern firearm to a resident of another state without first transferring the firearm to a dealer in the purchaser's state

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 11:22:33 am »
This gun in our old book "04" lists at $850. in very good condition !!  Would be much more now as Browning is one of the best guns made !!  $1000. would be my estimate !!
As far as the guns hurting animals,, how do you think they get to the grocery store ??  Magic ??  I would be more interested in responsible hunting than hunting as a rule !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 11:43:37 am »
debodun, you can get an appraisal @, to wit:

Gun-Appraisals.Com ……. $9.95

Here is a listing of the 'bare minimum' information we require in order to ascertain the value of your gun.

•   manufacturers name
•   model
•   serial number
•   gauge/caliber
•   barrel length
•   condition
http://www.gun-appraisals.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=wiw2u.templates&templates_id=78

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 11:55:23 am »
I am dubious about selling firearms anyway. Although shotguns and rifles can be sold without the restrictions of handguns, it is still a weapon. Unless a collector buys it just to have it and not use it, but I can't be sure they won't. I don't like the idea of this gun killing or hurting animals, or worse, people. I only get it out when a person stops at my sale and asks if I have any hunting items. I always like to hear what they say, even an amusing offer like the $200.
bit of a contradiction here...you don,t want to sell it for less than its worth...but..you don,t like the idea of it being used to kill animals....in whatever form they come....If you are so concerned as to what it might be used for....Donate it to a museum....then, you,ll always know..it,ll never be use to blast some pair burdie oot o, the sky...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 12:09:37 pm »
This gun in our old book "04" lists at $850. in very good condition !!  Would be much more now as Browning is one of the best guns made !!  $1000. would be my estimate !!
As far as the guns hurting animals,, how do you think they get to the grocery store ??  Magic ??  I would be more interested in responsible hunting than hunting as a rule !!
..".how do you think they get to the grocery store."....and here was me thinking....they came this way.... ;D ;D

I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 12:18:48 pm »
Has anyone else noticed that no one has any dislikes or reservations about killing a fish? ;D ;D

I’ve often wondered if that was because fish don’t “cry out” in pain if hooked, stabbed or left to suffocate out of water.