Author Topic: Antique 1800's Rocking Chair with Original Paint  (Read 4441 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Antique 1800's Rocking Chair with Original Paint
« on: September 29, 2013, 03:17:07 pm »
I purchased this antique rocking chair a few months ago from a TS in the Washington/Baltimore area. I've searched all over for one just like it and can't find one. Sorry about all the images but I thought they might be needed for all the angle views.

The Rocker has what looks like original dark green, black and perhaps gold paint and looks like it has had a board placed over the bottom at a later date. I thought that without the bottom board it may have been an old rocker converted into or used as a potty rocker at one time but I'm not sure at all about that.

Does anyone know who made this rocking chair and when and where this rocker might have been made. Also, is the paint original and what type of rocking chair would this one be called? There are no Maker marks that I can find on it.

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="635" height="3163" border="0

icedgold10

• View Profile
Re: Antique 1800's Rocking Chair with Original Paint
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 03:21:25 pm »
I think you are right about the seat wood being added after.   Mart is the lady to help you with this one.  She knows her furniture well!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 03:27:03 pm »
I think you are right about the seat wood being added after.   Mart is the lady to help you with this one.  She knows her furniture well!
Mart...a Lady....Mmm...furni ture is not the only thing she knows well..... we know she,s into backsides and bottoms.... ;D..and  other things...in between.
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 03:27:18 pm »
Was probably a caned seat that broke !! Hitchcock type  !! Let me check a few things !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 03:58:29 pm »
Even though its an older rocker its not  a Hitchcock chair,, The stenciling is not correct,  doesn`t have the banding and although he didn`t mark a few early ones,, this isn`t one of his !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 04:29:32 pm »
Thanks icedgold10. Bigwull, looks like you're in a rare mood today....  :)

Mart, I was beginning to think you were right about Lambert Hitchcock after I read up a little on him. What should the stenciling be and what is the banding you are mentioning. The colors used seem to be close, black, dark green and what I thought might be gold looks more of a yellow.

The second board from the top of this rocker has a stencil that looks a little like the top board on the Hitchcock chair in the following link. Click on the chair image in the link to view a larger image of it. I'm still open to any suggestions on the id of this rocker of course.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4911526_identify-hitchcock-furniture.html

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 08:19:22 pm »
Hitchcock used gold and bronze in his stenciling and yellow ochre for the pinstriping, gold on the bands on the legs and those only went halfway around, same as the link you posted said !! Between 1821 and 1823 there were a few made that were not marked with his name, but this isn`t one of his !! Many similar chairs were made about this time !! This is an older chair that I think is maybe 1850 or a bit before !! On the same line as Hitchcock chairs but not his !! He did, however, start his company by making the parts for others to assemble before he started making his Hitchcock chairs so maybe it was made from some of his parts !! I could not find a reference to him ever making a rocker with a caned seat unless it was much later !! He used cane and rush seats in many of the straight chairs but didn`t find a rocker with it in the early ones !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 09:49:51 pm »
Mart, thanks for looking into this!! I agree with you and your findings. I've included a couple more close up shots of some of the same images. It looks like there may be a red colored base paint under the black paint in a couple of the worn areas but this may just be due to age and use. I'm wondering if the pattern used on the chair and the paint colors used can be useful to establish/verify/authenticate to a degree the date and perhaps maker or be of any additional help. I do think your estimate of 1850 or a bit before is correct.

" width="633" height="1277" border="0

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 09:09:45 am »
That's about what I would estimate just from what I can see !! Could even be a little earlier !! But since the methods of making these chairs did not change significantly over the years its really hard to get closer than a ballpark timeline !! The paint on yours is more in the Pennsylvania Dutch style than in Hitchcocks !! Yours looks more hand painted while his was stenciled except for pinstriping and bands !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 05:57:36 pm »
Thanks mart!! Now that you mention it, the paint does remind me of Pennsylvania Dutch style.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 06:02:36 pm »
What are you going to do with this chair ??

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 06:58:11 pm »
What are you going to do with this chair ??

I was hoping to find out more information about the chair before deciding what to do with it. Although, I can tell you I won't be refinishing or restoring the chair.

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 07:06:52 pm »
Mart...a Lady....Mmm...furni ture is not the only thing she knows well..... we know she,s into backsides and bottoms.... ;D..and  other things...in between.

Behave young man!  Or I will have to tell your mommy on you!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 07:52:58 pm »

Behave young man!  Or I will have to tell your mommy on you!

We have threatened that many times !!   ;D