Author Topic: Empire sideboard with neo-classical carvings  (Read 2180 times)

Stacierew

• View Profile
Empire sideboard with neo-classical carvings
« on: October 06, 2013, 09:18:05 pm »
Newbie here  :) Stumbled upon this sideboard on craigslist for a ridiculously low price. The picture in the ad was a close up of a knob, thats it. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it in person. It was delivered today. The photos are of the piece pre-dusting. Moderate damage to the veneer in the front (as pictured). It has "side rails" on the top, they were removed by the prior owners in order to deliver it to me, but I have them. Original glass knobs, has its original working key. I know this piece came out of Philadelphia, but cant locate a makers mark. Any info/advice would be appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Empire sideboard with neo-classical carvings
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 07:02:01 am »
Those glass knobs would likely date this sideboard to 1920`s or so !!  Furniture is not typically marked with more than a style number unless very high end !! Empire revival pieces do not usually sell for much because there were many made and it is not a collectors market !! However it has picked up recently in price and is good sturdy furniture !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 10:02:15 am »
Well said Mart.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 11:38:58 am »
Ooops !!  Sorry !!  Forgot to say welcome to the forum Stacierew !!

Stacierew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:36:48 am »
Thanks Mart! I appreciate the welcome AND the feedback. Prior to posting here, I had an "expert" on another forum state that it was late empire. The lady who sold it to me said that it had been in her family for four generations (which could still place it in the 1920's). I guess I love a good mystery, and always want to get to the bottom of things  :)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 12:00:42 pm »
Thanks Mart! I appreciate the welcome AND the feedback. Prior to posting here, I had an "expert" on another forum state that it was late empire. The lady who sold it to me said that it had been in her family for four generations (which could still place it in the 1920's). I guess I love a good mystery, and always want to get to the bottom of things  :)
Gawd!!....that,s all I need....another one...who likes to get to the bottom of things.....You,re not Texan are you..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 01:48:53 pm »
LOL !! Ignore the Scotsman !!  He always gives me a hard time because I ask to see the "bottom" of things !!  ;D

There is really no way to accurately date furniture !! Its not like there was a start and stopping point for different styles !! Best anyone can do is get within a decade or so !!  The glass knobs and the key tell me its of the art nouveau period of the 20`s !! Although it is not of the art nouveau style which is much more flowing than this is !!  Yes, I know its confusing !! But is not unusual for manufacturers to use bits and pieces (knobs and key) to bring furniture more in line with what is popular without having to make totally new pieces !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 02:20:13 pm »
ere, ....you forgot about my other half....the 50% Ukrainian.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 02:51:25 pm »
Yes I did !!  Had to look to see how to spell it so I took the easy way out !!   :D