Author Topic: Drexell - drop-leaf, duncan phyfe style table and chairs  (Read 1312 times)

jvander

• View Profile
Drexell - drop-leaf, duncan phyfe style table and chairs
« on: October 10, 2013, 04:21:27 pm »
I have a Drexell drop-leaf, duncan phyfe style, dining room table and chairs.  The # on the bottom of the table is 355 38C.  The chairs are marked 454.  Just wondering the value, wood, and age of the table.  It is in good condition for its age but does have knicks where the chairs have rubbed on table legs.  A few scratches here and there but cleans up beautifully.  It has all 3 leaves (12" each), 6 chairs and custom table pads from Cohen Furniture Co.  The pads were mailed in a separate box dated 11/8/1954.   With all leaves and drop ends up, the table measures 8'4"x3'6" , at it's smallest with leaves out and ends dropped 2'10"x3'6".  Seats 10-12 comfortably at its fullest.  In the last 15 years, it has always been covered by pads and a table cloth.  I am looking to sell it.  It is currently our main table and I am concerned the everyday use will damage it.  I would love to find someone to appreciate it and use it but who doesn't have to abuse it with daily use.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Drexell - drop-leaf, duncan phyfe style table and chairs
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 05:35:29 pm »
Dining Tables are for using...its as simple as that...me..i use them all the time...especially during the winter time....I buy them cheap..then chop them up for firewood....the last one i chopped up was an 8ft Ercol table...which when new was over £700...i bought it  for £10.at an auction.....and i got 4 days burning from it....this year will be no different....the more tables the merrier...I prefer oaks...they burn longer.....Now what were you saying about your table.....yeah you want someone to appreciate it....thats me...... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 06:08:44 pm »
Likely from 40`s !! Many furniture mfrs were reproducing the same style !! I have had several variations of the same style table !! Had one that had brass strings on the lyre !!  Mahogany was what most all were made of and is what yours likely is as well !!  The wood was never varied as far as I know !!   Its not as popular as it once was in 70`s and 80`s !!  Your set looks in good condition but as the market is now it would only bring around $500. give or take a little !!  If you are going to sell, ask a bit more but expect to deal on it !!

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 08:40:00 pm »
It's from the Drexel Travis Court Collection

jvander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 08:31:10 pm »
Thanks for the info!