Author Topic: Antique Crock Values  (Read 2195 times)

drdexter33

• View Profile
Antique Crock Values
« on: October 11, 2013, 07:30:09 am »
Hi there.

I have 2 old antique crocks

I think one is a 6 gallon crock since it has a number '6' inside of a decorative element

The other is a jug.

Someone offered to buy them from me however I have no idea of their value.

Thanks.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:35:19 am by drdexter33 »

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Antique Crock Values
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 09:38:30 am »
Hello and welcome;
The crock would be an old McCoy and the jug probably the same. The following link shows a 3 gallon for $100. Seems a little high to me.
http://store.mccoypottery.com/product_info.php?products_id=91

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 09:40:37 am »
I have similar items. Because the jug has no real info, I think it's worth about $75. The larger one I'm not sure. It could be $100.-$150. You might want to wait to get some other opinions. The more info on the crock the more valuable.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 03:21:37 pm »
Does the jug have anything on bottom ??

drdexter33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 04:09:18 pm »
nothing on the bottom..

thanks!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 05:57:22 am »
Your handled jug looks like a 2 gal.

And don't forget, the buyer's "purchasing" price of such "vanilla" stoneware will greatly vary depending on your locale. 

Now I said "purchasing" price rather than saying "selling" price because ya never know what someone is willing to sell a piece of stoneware for. The wife purchased a jar at a garage-sale a couple weeks ago for $8 ..... like the one pictured below ..... but her's has a big cobalt blue "2" on it. Sometimes ya get lucky and get a "goodern".  ;D

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 06:57:32 am »
super glad to see a crock/jug thread--I have two, neither one is marked but do know that they are old.  Were we a nation of moonshiners during prohibition or were these made for decorative too??  I see tons of them in garage sales/flea markets here in MN--is there a ton of makers or the ones not marked....all look similar ..  what company(s) made the plain ones?

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 07:40:22 am »
That is lucky cogar. Around Philadelphia area depending on the item it could br really expensive. The 6 gallon crock I don't see a lot of those.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 01:39:02 pm »
Were we a nation of moonshiners during prohibition or were these made for decorative too??  I see tons of them in garage sales/flea markets here in MN--is there a ton of makers or the ones not marked....all look similar ..  what company(s) made the plain ones?

Sugarcube, there were dozens n' dozens of potteries that made crocks, jugs, churns, big jars, small jars, canning jars, tobacco smoking pipes, etc. Stoneware items were a necessary household "utility" and/or "storage" item since Colonial times ..... and even into the early to mid 20th century.

The earlier ones are the most sought after because many contained "freehand" painting of most anything the artist felt like painting on them. Later on stencils were used to "decorate" and/or "mark" them ..... and then encised "marks" included.

Some potteries always stenciled their name on the larger pieces, others would put the name of the retailer on them who "ordered" the pottery.

And that was just a sketchy wee sample of the history of US pottery making.

Ps: the real early stuff (Slipware) is now only found in private collections, historical showplaces and museums.

Those early pieces do appear from out-of-the-woodwork every now n' then.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 01:44:56 pm by cogar »

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 02:22:02 pm »
cougar thank you for your precise and informative answer...