Author Topic: What kind of cabinet??  (Read 4442 times)

bamazalea

• View Profile
What kind of cabinet??
« on: October 12, 2013, 05:02:27 pm »
I have been researching and trying to find out what kind of cabinet this could be but I'm at a loss.  I've learned a lot along the way so it hasn't been a total waste of time.  It's oak and 2 pieces.  The top doesn't have any plate grooves in the cabinets which I found odd and would that eliminate a china cabinet? The small drawers on the two sides take up the buffet space so it kind of eliminates that, right? (yes, a drawer is missing) There's a secret compartment inside the middle upper cabinet.  It's just a faux bottom which lifts to reveal a space.  The pulls are the kind that turn 360 degrees to lock the cabinet.  Hand carving on the drawers and linen fold on the lower cabinet but none of that was incorporated into the upper cabinet.  The lower part has a groove along the top and two small holes for the upper part to fit into to keep it secure.  It seems like some sort of a credenza to me.  The piece that sits behind a desk, holds books, etc..  Would they have even had pieces like that many moons ago?  Let me know if more pics are needed.

icedgold10

• View Profile
Re: What kind of cabinet??
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 05:13:00 pm »
Are you sure the hutch part and the bottom were originally together?  Mart should be able to help you with this.

bamazalea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 05:16:19 pm »
No, I'm not sure they were originally together.  I've also noticed that the bottom piece has some tiger oak whereas the upper portion has none.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 05:36:43 pm »
Are you sure the hutch part and the bottom were originally together?  Mart should be able to help you with this.
here we go again...........a "hutch"....this is a...Hutch....that is a Bookcase... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bamazalea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 06:48:22 pm »
I can play this game.

This is a buffet............. ......that's a sideboard (with a hutch).

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 06:54:27 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D :D
I can play this game.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 08:29:44 pm »
http://www.mrbeasleys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&pageNumber&catID&c=10&v&r&id&sortBy&search&shopByPrice&viewAll=1&customListIds&venID

Call it either one or both and you would still be correct !! These were used in a sitting area or library and were used to hold many items !! Top was not intended for dishes but for crystal vases, porcelain art and curios !! Likely in the center bottom you would find a decanter set and glasses for after dinner drinks !! Perhaps a sip of sherry or something stronger !! Important papers in drawers ect !!  They were designed in many configurations depending on who made it !!
Do you have the missing drawer ??  If not just take the other one out and store it !! That way it looks balanced !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 02:44:31 am »
I can play this game.

You apparently have gotten off on the wrong foot...I was,nt playing games... ;)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 04:40:39 am »
bamazalea can you pull open a drawer and take close up pics of the dovetails and other construction details (one of the doors too). Also hinges, nails/screws, etc. A shot of the back would be good too if possible. For those 'in the know' about furniture all these type of details help with dating.

BTW, welcome to the forum...........and LOVE the sense of humour.  ;)

bamazalea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 01:50:11 pm »
Mart - you are a genius!  I must just hide a bottle of whiskey in it just for kicks.  I'm probably going to rebuild the drawer before selling it.  I know it won't help the value but I'd enjoy the challenge.

Sapphire - thanks for the welcome and boy have I got some pics!  I went a little nuts :)  Hubby let me borrow his phone which is 13 megapixels so hopefully detailed enough.  Here are the drawer dovetails, back of the drawer, lower cabinet door (is that a mortise joint?) and the inside of the lower door.  I noticed just now that the upper cabinets have pin joints but I didn't get a pic.

bamazalea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 02:03:44 pm »
and a few more :)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 02:19:40 pm »
The lower half doors have Parliament Hinges....which would indicate that crockery was stored here...then when the doors were opened they would open 180deg....thus allowing easy access...and removal of dishes....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 08:55:59 pm »
First of all...WELCOME!!!

I have a French one from 1800's, Search for an old posting of mine from Jan 5, 2009, "King Louis XV Sideboard".

Similar...yours doesn't appear French! BUT can you please post a close up of the ornamental elements please of the top?  Also, how the shelves adjust in the top section.

This style has been around for a very long time - in my case it is a "buffet a' deux corps"  - meaning a cabinet with two bodies!  (If french in origin and it has a plate rack on top without doors it is called a "vaisselier" and in the US is often referred to as a cupboard.)  Depending on where you are located and what you have been exposed to it can be called many things (sideboard, buffet, china hutch (American term)! They are essentially the same things.  The French define a buffet as a small sideboard used for storing dishes with a flat top for serving.  A sideboard can have a large mirrored back or a top with shelves or drawers - the purpose to display!  Furniture manufacturers call my piece a Breakfront because the front lines have been broken - not continuous!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:24:45 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 06:06:14 am »
Thanks KC couldn`t think of "Breakfront" !!  He said this one did not have plate rack !!

bamazalea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 08:47:12 am »
Sorry for the delay in responding.  I'm in the middle of restoring another china cabinet and I've been giving it every spare minute I have.

Here's a pic of the pediment.  It is attached with a couple of screws.  It has the same type of stippling as the drawers in the lower section.  The shelves are permanently installed.