Author Topic: Post office desk? Opinions appreciated.  (Read 1437 times)

Arugula88

• View Profile
Post office desk? Opinions appreciated.
« on: October 12, 2013, 05:25:05 pm »
Hi,

I'm new to buying old/antique furniture. I love the aesthetic of older furniture but am in no way expert and identifying antiques. I have basic knowledge of what to look at to determine furniture age.

I found this desk after buying a serpentine mirrored dresser (my favorite style of dresser!); the previous owner was moving and had these 2 pieces, I made an offer on the desk as an after thought because I loved the look of it. At first I thought it was handmade (I'm a novice at analyzing furniture clearly) but upon further inspection it has the old school joints that appear to be machine cut, as well as other indicators that suggest older furniture. It's very rustic looking, and I am in love with it, which is why I'm interested in identifying what it may have been originally used for. My first guess is perhaps I post office desk? I couldn't find any info or websites w info on antique post office furniture online.

Any opinions on what the backstory to this desk is would be greatly appreciated!!

Arugula88

• View Profile
Re: Post office desk? Opinions appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 05:27:35 pm »
Here are a couple more photos.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 04:57:26 am »
Not a desk ..... but a mail sorting table.

Do an "image" search for said.

By the way, nice piece.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 03:12:30 pm »
Nice Piece!!!  Agree it is considered a Mail Sorting Table!

These are few and far between!!!

These will only continue to rise in price.  (Depending on your area) this can go for $300  - $900.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Arugula88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 08:05:46 pm »
Ok thanks for the opinions! This type of mail sorting table seems to be pretty rare because I only found 1 or 2 pictures online that look at all similar to this (after searching mail sorting table). I'm definitely going to hang on to it and not make any changes (I originally wanted to paint it).

I paid no where close to that so I'm glad I got a great deal!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 08:13:39 pm »
This would be great for a craft room or store!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!