Author Topic: Help Identify Please?  (Read 3636 times)

bdc957

• View Profile
Help Identify Please?
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:40:56 pm »
I got this at an antique auction for nothing and can't figure out for the life of me what it is! It's very decorative, it has Made in Morocco on the bottom, and has this strange wooden peg attached to it. Any ideas??? It came with this other piece that looks to go with it.

bdc957

• View Profile
Re: Help Identify Please?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 09:54:37 pm »
Think I found it, an egyptian or moroccan kohl container and applicator. Google it if interested, pretty neat history.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:00:35 pm »
The kohl containers I have seen in the past are usually made for an individual (thus are small and capped to carry) and/or are  capped even when made ornately, or not, to sit on a surface.

Does it appear that there are marks where there have been caps on here?

Bdv957 I am impressed that you even knew about kohl...many people don't!

It could be that this is a larger one, for ritual, or the holders could hold lipstick tubes (a more modern version).
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 05:21:33 am »
Curious!!...with one breath you asked what it was, then you find it...what thought, brought you this result...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 09:32:10 am »
Could use it as a lipstick tube holder.  That would be fun. ;D

bdc957

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 09:46:48 am »
I still haven't found the exact one like these, but I've found many similar things. The thing that got me thinking was the wooden stick/peg thing. I saw on the bottom it said MADE IN MOROCCO, so I just started googling things like moroccan scent holder, moroccan medicine holder, moroccan applicator, etc. and I ran across an image of a similar wooden thing. See here also: http://www.chrissytravels.com/2012/05/24/beauty-secrets-morocco-kohl-eyeliner/

And that made me think I was at least on the right track, who knows. As far as the other thing, I still haven't found anything, but reading about this kohl stuff was pretty interesting (egyptian kohl makeup), so I have to wonder if it's some sort of vanity kit maybe? I don't know, I'm not done yet lol. I'll report back if I get to the bottom of it. Thanks for all your help and opinions. :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 11:32:41 am »
Kohl has been used in many countries and is illegal in the US (often lead content).

The only other thing that I thought of was that the wooden piece was used as a dibbler!

But I do believe that kohl is the right track!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 03:32:50 pm »
Well I,m not convinced!! :-\

bdc957

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 03:55:26 pm »
Well let's see... first you asked me:

"Curious!!...with one breath you asked what it was, then you find it...what thought, brought you this result..."

So I answered your question (why I don't know). Then you say:
"Well I,m not convinced!!"

Soooo I don't remember trying to convince anyone of anything, especially you...? Did I say exactly what it was or that what I thought was a fact?? I simply put what I found and my opinion, as did other helpful folks. You sure contributed a ton on this thread, thanks for the helpful information! Gotta love the internet.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 06:13:12 pm »
Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning..i,m allowed my opinion...just as you are...all i,m saying is looking at that wooden bottle, and looking at the metal can...i see a big difference .

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 06:37:43 pm »
My gosh,  :o  Sometimes I fall out of bed in the morning. Never a good thing. Ouch.. ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 06:50:00 pm »
Falling out of bed is one thing....but falling out on the wrong side is another.  ::)..these two containers..one with a podger...and one without...its the one without the podger..that i,m not convinced about,maybe i,m barking up the wrong tree..but with that one i,m thinking..its something entirely different...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 07:38:51 pm »
Ain`t my area !!  Have no clue !!  :D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 11:22:53 pm »
Kohl holders can get rather elaborate and made in many types of materials.  Bronze, brass, leather, ceramic, etc.