Author Topic: Large Middle Eastern Bucket Value?  (Read 4995 times)

Bionfett121

Large Middle Eastern Bucket Value?
« on: November 01, 2013, 12:24:04 pm »
It is a Large Middle Eastern Bucket with images engraved across it. The images are people holding spears surrounding a person on a throne having a drink with a person with wings. It dimensions are: 14 1/2 inches tall and 30 1/2 inches around at the narrowest part. My grandfather got it in the middle east I think in Iran but I am not sure. He got it in the 1950's or 60's. Here are some pictures. What do you think the value is?

Bionfett121

Re: Large Middle Eastern Bucket Value?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 02:10:31 pm »
If you look at the second picture it is not close up.

Bionfett121

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 02:12:25 pm »
Also we are looking for any information on it at all.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 03:04:19 pm »
Looks like the interior has been tinned !!

Bionfett121

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:48:34 pm »
The pics were taken on an iPad and close up in order to show detail. They are normal sized on our screen; do you mean you have a dial up connection?
We've found similar vessels listed as 'antique cooper Turkish boilers/planters' on ebay (much less ornate) for $70 to $350.
Also, your responses sound somewhat dismissive and uninformed--you've only said its worthless.

P.S. We don't burn coal here; very bad for the environment.

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 05:13:13 pm »
welcome to the forum,

this place is like a bus station, hang around long enuf you'll get another bus.  Lots more opinions to come.  BE NICE BIGWULL

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 06:07:54 pm »
OK gang, time for everyone to take a deep breath... very good.

Let's get back to figuring out what this bucket might be and do it politely please. Thank-you for cooperating, it is important that we keep all interaction on the forum civil.

I found one very similar to yours, but it doesn't sound like the seller knows what it's function is either:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MIDDLE-EASTERN-SOLID-BRASS-HAND-HAMMERED-CRAVED-CHRISTIAN-PAIL-BUCKET-/271290385160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2a2ac308&x=18&y=6

Antiqueaholic in recovery

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 06:13:38 pm »
Good job Tales! :)
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 06:16:57 pm »
Bigwull did not know your son's age, and he is scottish so our grammar is not his, he has lots of knowledge and a razor wit...you'll find him informational just not a sugar coater. 

He's done a lot for the forum. 

Sure he meant no harm

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 06:20:37 pm »
This is a good reminder that we never know when it might be a kid at the keyboard, so we should always keep that in mind, and not to let things get heated.

I found some other similar buckets by doing an image search for Persian brass bucket also Iranian and Iran, but none exactly like yours and none with a "pie crust" lip on the top
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Bionfett121

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 06:30:44 pm »
OK gang, time for everyone to take a deep breath... very good.

Let's get back to figuring out what this bucket might be and do it politely please. Thank-you for cooperating, it is important that we keep all interaction on the forum civil.

I found one very similar to yours, but it doesn't sound like the seller knows what it's function is either:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MIDDLE-EASTERN-SOLID-BRASS-HAND-HAMMERED-CRAVED-CHRISTIAN-PAIL-BUCKET-/271290385160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2a2ac308&x=18&y=6

Thank you so much for the polite and informative response, this gives us a place to start looking for more information. We're sorry that we bothered the "experts" and invoked their rapier "wit"; we will find somewhere else to continue our research.
Again, thanks for your quick and polite response.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 06:38:16 pm »
Bionfett121 I hope you stay. How old is your son? I'm thrilled he likes old things. Is this a school project?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Bionfett121

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 06:43:30 pm »
He's 12 and loves to study history and different cultures. It's not a school project, just his passion. He loves all things British and Middle Eastern, sad about the interaction because he has several online Scottish friends who he idolizes.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 07:19:54 pm »
It appears to be  an etched water pail !! Or for any food related item due to the tinning on the interior !! Looked at several similar form as the one tales found !! Some decorated and some not !! They are pretty common in the middle east as running water can be scarce in some areas !! Here in the U.S. they are used as decorative objects !! Value on the ones I found between $45. and $85 !! Remember asking price and actual selling price can vary greatly !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 07:24:35 pm »
 :D   :D   :D !!!