Author Topic: Antique Pistol ?????  (Read 4834 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Pistol ?????
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 12:27:46 pm »
I am curious about that too KC !! Unless it is just the casings as Rauville said !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 12:44:34 pm »
I am curious about that too KC !! Unless it is just the casings as Rauville said !!

Yes...just looking at the photo of the pistol broke open you can see that each of the cartridges have a visible dent in the primer. They are "empty / spent" shell casings that shouldn't cause any anxiety.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 01:34:38 pm »
Glad someone has good eyes !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 01:49:21 pm »
A friend of my son's just stopped by that knows a little about guns.  He opened it and there are bullets in it that say western  38 S&W.  What would a gun like this be used for?
I would have thought that was obvious...Killing people...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 02:21:44 pm »
Just to ease some minds my son is almost 25 years-old and his friend is the same age and was in the service so he has handled guns before.  I wouldn't let children handle it.  They are empty shells though.  Without the hammer I don't think they can do too much, I may be wrong though.  Bigwul I know they can kill people but the can be used for target ect.... there are target sports.  Not always used for bad.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 02:23:22 pm »
For years the 38 cal. was the common weapon carried by law enforcement !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 02:28:29 pm »
Around 1910 law enforcement used it a lot.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 03:20:10 pm »
For years the 38 cal. was the common weapon carried by law enforcement !!

Ammunition can be confusing, as there were always improvements being marketed over the years.
Just remember that:
.38 is a caliber which includes an entire group of cartridges, including:

.38 S&W, which is a cartridge dating back to the black powder era. Used in break-top revolvers, among others.
.38 S&W Special, which is a much more powerful cartridge that became a popular choice for police.

To illustrate the difference between the two:

.38 Special on the left, and .38 S&W on the right 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2013, 03:27:42 pm »
Didn't even occur to think what age your son was...just the fact bullets were inside!  But, then I was shooting guns years before I was old enough to drive.  Living in the country you are taught young!!!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 05:08:41 pm »
I am afraid we were raised a bit different from many here !! Guns were a part of life and a necessity for us !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 09:13:10 pm »
I know in some upper parts of Maine kids are raised with guns for hunting.  In my area sadly they are mostly used for criminal purposes.  We have a big drug problem in this area and guns have played a major part in it.  I know in other states kids are brought up with guns and taught respect for them.  Here is not the case.  Way to many accidents with guns and children because people don't teach or lock them up.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 04:54:13 am »
A friend of my son's just stopped by that knows a little about guns.  He opened it and there are bullets in it that say western  38 S&W.  What would a gun like this be used for?
I would have thought that was obvious...Killing people...

Found in the dirt, ...... 5 empty cartridges, ....... must be someone was the loser in a running gun fight. ;D ;D

T'is no other reason for empty casings to still be in the chamber.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 09:07:38 am »
I am afraid that locking them up/failing to teach is the reason for many accidental shootings !! And the main reason is "I didn`t know it was loaded" !! More people have been killed with "unloaded guns" than loaded ones !!  Here kids know that if they pick a gun up,,its loaded !! No question about it,, !!  There are probably 15 here in my house and all are loaded !! As to locking them up,,kids are naturally curious and when you tell them not to do something or if you keep an item in mystery,,thats the first thing they are going to go for !!
 I shot my first gun at age 4,, with a little parental help,, an old long tom goose gun,,!!  Sent me and my dad rolling !! Not something you want to repeat when young !!