Author Topic: 3 "Asian" Pieces  (Read 4539 times)

JakeJo

• View Profile
3 "Asian" Pieces
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:26:07 pm »
You all were so amazing before I thought I'd run a few pieces by you I picked up at an estate sale. These are all pieces that may be Chinatown remakes, but I can't tell. They do look old, and I know that even some Chinatown remakes are "legit" in terms of whether or not some basic casual collectors like them, so I picked them up. I was wondering if anyone could even identify the ashtray at all given that it has no markings, and whether or not the snuff bottles do/should have any value. It does look like the stoppers are replacements, although I'm no expert. Don't worry about me getting ripped off. I spent very, very little and I like keeping these for myself if they end up being worthless. They're still pretty.

An estimated value would be amazing as well, but unnecessary.

PS - Also, one other random question. I have a large seemingly genuine gavel from 1957. It has the term "Art and Garden Section" on it. I'm pretty sure it's real, but I can't think of a price point. Any thoughts?

mart

• View Profile
Re: 3 "Asian" Pieces
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:05:02 pm »
I don`t have a clue but they are neat finds !! Like those snuff bottles !! Bet KC will know !!

JakeJo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:07:40 pm »
Thanks! I have so many more neat things I found but I don't want to spam the board. Found some art, army clothes, and more. I'm sure some are worthless, but when you can walk away with boxes and boxes of stuff for less than $50 it's always a great day. Estate sales are fun. I just wish I knew more people that could identify these items in person so I didn't have to always ask here!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 08:55:52 pm »
Estate sales here are way overpriced !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 09:18:07 pm »
I don't think your bottle stoppers are replacements.  From the picture they look like Jade and Coral which would not match the painted snuff bottles.  You need to do some research on them because in my opinion they have more value than you realize.  The red one is very unique and should sell for quite a bit.  The ashtray is very nice.  I would post on an Asian art forum or send pictures to an Asian museum and ask their opinion.

JakeJo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 11:10:20 pm »
Thanks. I'll cross my fingers, of course. I'm always wary about these though since there are so many. On the other side of the red one is a lotus flower that is kind of incredible looking, very attractively stylized. I can't quite tell what is on the side of the red one that's visible in the photo.

Originally when I bought them it was the painted one I was more excited about because of the real paint and the signature on the bottom, but the paint is starting to chip a little and it's not as fun to hold. The stopper also comes in and out of that one too easily.

As for the ashtray, it's definitely not cheaply made, and also has to have some age to it, but on top of the 3d building in the center there is some protective plastic, and I can't imagine anything with plastic was originally that collectible. I figured it was possibly some type of tourist/Chinatown piece that may simply be a few decades old. It's a pretty fun piece though. Came in a nondescript brown box.

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 03:48:49 am »
They look like repros to me. Copy of a classic Peking glass bottle, then a standard porcelain one featuring a landscape. The designs / enameling are quite rough.

daxu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 03:56:40 am »
anyone know where to find Estate sales is UK?

Many Thanks

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 02:45:49 pm »
They used to have small paddles on them for opium, snuff or powdered medicines!  Yours don't look that old.

Yep Mart...I knew about these!  Funny how our brains can remember the things other members knew about!  LOL
Not from use though!  Totally opposite!  :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:47:33 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 04:08:39 pm »
Thought you might !!  I think the ashtray is a mid century tourist piece !! I remember some similar that were bought in San Francisco but can`t remember who had them !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 05:45:06 pm »
anyone know where to find Estate sales is UK?

Many Thanks
Estate sales in the UK..don,t really happen .privately,.what does happen is..when a person pops their clogs..the relatives if there are any, or where there are no relatives..the executor of the estate will instruct an Auction Hose to sell all the goods,..then when the Auction House adverises their sale..they will have it in their listing...e.g. Deceased,s Estate going under the hammer..at..whateve r venue...it,ll most likely be at the auction house ..but i have seen them take place at the deceaseds house.
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 06:32:40 pm »
If you are ever in the U.S. we have tons of estate sales here.  Some can get you amazing items at great prices. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 09:47:11 pm »
Used to love going to estate sales...but they have gotten too expensive!!!  I'm all for the estate getting good money, but when they are asking for more than you can go buy it at a top store for....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

JakeJo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 10:51:03 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input.

Estate sales in small cities are still worthwhile because many aren't really aware of eBay. But otherwise yeah, a lot of them are still pricy. This was a good one though.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 12:14:29 pm »
Then you must be farther back in the sticks than I am !!