Author Topic: "O tempora, o mores!" engraved in the top of this jar/tea mug what is this ?  (Read 1655 times)

uptown62

• View Profile
"O tempora,  o mores!" engraved in the top of this jar/tea mug, it also has weird pictures on the carved on the sides and different type of designs on parts of this. This was found in my great grandmothers house a long time ago and i grew up seeing this as a kid i'm 22 now but i have always wondered what this was and my grandmother wants me to check it out, so i thought i would post it here and get your advice on this. What could this be, do any of have any idea on this?

Here are the pictures -

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:38:58 pm by uptown62 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Translates in Galician "dwell on the temporary".

A stein..can't make out the makers information on the bottom.  Can you please write out the information?  Please take a picture of the bottom in "natural" light and without flash.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:43:31 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

uptown62

• View Profile

A stein..can't make out the makers information on the bottom.  Can you please write out the information?  Please take a picture of the bottom in "natural" light and without flash.

Here is i took one with flash and two without it -

Ipcress

Mettlach / Villeroy & Boch

http://www.steincollectors.org/library/TranslationsIllustrated/O/O_tempora_o_mores/trans.html

Also

Has "O tempora, O mores!" on lid (translates to "Oh what times, oh what customs!") and odd imagery of a violinist, a crocodile, the Sphynx, and pyramids

$300 two years ago in Kansas City

although yours does appear to have some wear / condition

Looks like an 80's pop video - a violinist stood in front of the Pyramids !

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile

Interesting that you should say Galician..KC...my late Father came from there...it was only known as Galicia..during the Austro-Hungarian Empire...its proper name is of course Ukraine...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
How interesting Wullie!!!  I am an old soul!!!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

uptown62

• View Profile
Mettlach / Villeroy & Boch

http://www.steincollectors.org/library/TranslationsIllustrated/O/O_tempora_o_mores/trans.html

Also

Has "O tempora, O mores!" on lid (translates to "Oh what times, oh what customs!") and odd imagery of a violinist, a crocodile, the Sphynx, and pyramids

$300 two years ago in Kansas City

although yours does appear to have some wear / condition

Looks like an 80's pop video - a violinist stood in front of the Pyramids !

Cool thanks for the info, i appreciate it...