Author Topic: How to date furniture?  (Read 14860 times)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Re: How to date furniture?
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2013, 07:00:02 pm »
Heres a similar form i saw on ebay, look at incised lines on apron and stretcher under top.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Edwardian-octagonal-side-table-spindled-gallery-turned-legs-on-castors-/190885416734?nma=true&si=djXaD3MuFPZ9EL3mIXet6eCSeHQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

They were trying to sell it for $300 but it didnt sell and, it's in better condition than yours.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2013, 08:56:32 pm »
The entire table screams mid century to me !! Specifically the 60`s !! Everything from the capped screw holes to how the legs are turned combined with the shape !! The stretcher is a different wood and since it is pretty consistently the same color,,its likely it was stained !! Don`t think it had casters, I do think it had those tips that kept it from scratching floors !!  I have seen a couple of pieces that were similarly made as far as the fretwork,,Cant remember where I saw them but it was in the process of researching something that was posted on another forum !! The way the fretwork is used gives the legs a winged look to me and since it was something different I studied it a few minutes !!
Like Jacon4 said without actually doing a hands on and seeing more that what we can with pics,,all we can do is a best guess scenario !!  But I would put money on 60`s !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2013, 10:59:03 pm »
My goodness, I am having to cover my ears with this table screaming so much!!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2013, 04:02:33 am »
But I would put money on 60`s !!
LOL, how much money? It could very well be 60s but if it did have casters, that would suggest an earlier time, correct? Although i started with collecting victorian wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back when, i quickly moved on to early american so not an expert on the victorian period furnishings nor english or european furniture.

In any event, decent mahogany table and whether period or no, not a lot of value either way here in the states, perfect candidate to refinish and use as a TV stand.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:10:15 am by jacon4 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2013, 04:48:55 am »
Well, its auction house week ,and who knows..I might just find a table like this...for mucho cheapness...my Kindling stock is getting low,...looking back over this topic...is another prime example of too little info at the start,...had we,known about the 45deg saw cuts, machined screws..etc at the beginning,i doubt very much if this topic would have dragged on,and on,for 5 pages... ::)
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2013, 09:50:59 am »
Betcha` a Coke Jacon4 !!   Drinkable kind !! ;D

If we could see it in person,, we might all change our minds !! Its amazing how we can all look at the same piece of furniture and each see different things according to what our major interest is !!  That's part of what MrMahoot wanted to know is how we came to that conclusion !! Since my major area of study is 20th century furniture and back to late 1800`s
I look for what relates to that period and then what is missing from it !!  Many times you just have to have to go by what it feels like !! After you have looked at enough furniture,, you will start to get the same feeling for it !! But make no mistake about it,,there is no cut and dried,,yes or no,,It can frequently fool you !!

gtl2p2

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2013, 12:13:26 pm »
I have nothing as of now to add here.. just wanted to see if I could make a regular post since making a thread gives me error messages

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2013, 12:18:27 pm »
Seems Ok for you to post gtl2p2,,You might try posting again and if it doesn`t work,, see what the error message says and let us know !!  Welcome to the forum !!

Ipcress

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2013, 01:49:29 pm »
The entire table screams mid century to me !!

Yeah, i'm with you on this.

It's never Edwardian - the legs are too " complicated " - and i agree about the Italian possibility or influence.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2013, 02:09:12 pm »
Then it could be American...an Italian American table maker living in Ital,then sold it to someone living in UK...plausible..? ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2013, 08:52:07 pm »
It should be obvious it is 1960's North Pole! 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2013, 09:03:13 pm »
Ha !! Cute !!