Author Topic: How to date furniture?  (Read 14859 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: How to date furniture?
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2013, 10:44:52 am »
Sorry, don't know if this will even show up because I cannot view pages 2 and 3 of this thread!

I do believe that this is more of a mix of styles...BEAUTIFUL PIECE by the way.  I would gander to say very early 1900's.  Of course this i just from the pic I am seeing on Page 1.  Always a hands-on inspection is the best way to go with an item in question.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2013, 11:18:18 am »
I am changing my guess! to english Edwardian C. 1900-10

MrMahoot

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2013, 11:41:14 am »
I can't get the photos to upload, keep on getting an internal server error.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2013, 11:55:45 am »
i,ve tried twice and each time its went pear shaped,..place is falling to bits...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2013, 12:26:06 pm »
I am changing my guess! to english Edwardian C. 1900-10

Not a chance.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2013, 12:48:06 pm »
Mid 20th century Italian import !!

MrMahoot

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2013, 12:58:35 pm »
I have uploaded the JPEG files to another website showing the underneath of the octagonal table.

http://www.hiddenarts.co.uk/Test.html

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2013, 01:14:43 pm »
I am sticking with what I said after seeing the new pics !! Mid 20th century Italian !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2013, 01:43:01 pm »
well, i,m going with early 20th century,..and possibly from India...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2013, 01:49:39 pm »
well, i,m going with early 20th century,..and possibly from India...

Not their style !!

MrMahoot

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2013, 02:10:40 pm »
My original question was how to date the furniture? What draws you to these conclusions and what evidence do you have? Can you explain your process to get to your conclusion. I have have the advantage of being able to physically examine the table but not the knowledge or experience. The saw makes underneath go at 45 degrees to the wood grain and are straight and not circular saw marks. The screws holding it together are flat head screws, machine made and rusty, not hand cut. The table has been revarnished. The bottom of the legs have holes presumably for casters. The holes are off centre and would not have been used in the turning process. The wood planks used to make the top are of varying width 5 3/4, 9 1/4, 10 /3/4 and 4 1/4. The fretwork on the four legs is very similar with some slight differences but very minimal. The wood between the fretwork is black and and has not been revarnished.

Ipcress

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2013, 02:58:17 pm »
My original question was how to date the furniture? What draws you to these conclusions and what evidence do you have? Can you explain your process to get to your conclusion. I have have the advantage of being able to physically examine the table but not the knowledge or experience. The saw makes underneath go at 45 degrees to the wood grain and are straight and not circular saw marks. The screws holding it together are flat head screws, machine made and rusty, not hand cut. The table has been revarnished. The bottom of the legs have holes presumably for casters. The holes are off centre and would not have been used in the turning process. The wood planks used to make the top are of varying width 5 3/4, 9 1/4, 10 /3/4 and 4 1/4. The fretwork on the four legs is very similar with some slight differences but very minimal. The wood between the fretwork is black and and has not been revarnished.

Right. Take for example the suggestion that it is English Edwardian. That's the first decade of the 20th century approximately in antiques terms ( no need to be exact here with the coronation dates )

Browse these and see what you think.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/search?q=edwardian+occasional+table&by_date=2013-11-10T20:57:12.133Z&sort=relevance&dtype=gallery&hasimage=true&type=complete&rows=20&addfq=country_code%3A%28%22UK%22%29

MrMahoot

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2013, 04:22:07 pm »
Looking at the pics and the info so far I agree it is from around the 1900's, not sure where it was made. Without a makers name, any other identifying marks and limited knowledge on my part it is pure guesswork and luck. I still haven't found the barcode or sell by date! I have scoured the internet for a similar table but none I have found so far have similar fretwork on the legs.
My next question is do I leave it as it is knowing it has no real value or do I strip it and restore it and remove the runs in the bad varnish job? It did not cost much and is intended to be used as a TV stand.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2013, 06:15:58 pm »
My original question was how to date the furniture? What draws you to these conclusions and what evidence do you have?

The only way to date furniture for sure is to examine the piece in person, there is no other way. I am basing my guess on the pics that seem to me to be similar in style to edwardian or 1900-1910, although it could be eastlake 1870-1900.

The reason i guess the later date is because of the buttons & shelf under the top. Value would be $100 or less in the states, collectors here want american pieces, not a clue what it's worth in england. Restore it if finish is bad, it certainly would increase it's value.

https://www.google.com/search?q=edwardian+octagonal+table&safe=off&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gSOAUrL3KcrMsQTz4oDIDA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=899

Finally, that X stretcher under top, is it stained or is  oxidation making wood that dark color? If oxidized, it's not mid 20th century.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:33:08 pm by jacon4 »

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2013, 06:47:10 pm »
Ok, I'm going to jump in with 1920's to 30's.  I'm actually leaning Canadian/ American.  There lines here up North are often blurred because of the boundary disputes that where in upper Maine with Canada.  I've seen a lot of tables in this area that remind me of this one.  Could be a little earlier but not later when everyone one started doing the light wood in the 40's.