Author Topic: red wing pottery  (Read 4366 times)

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
red wing pottery
« on: November 09, 2013, 12:31:03 pm »
this is in goodwill's bidding area and will be auctioned off tomorrow so am asking for help today

red wing pottery is huge here in this area, plus the company is going out of business now, so am thinking collectible values going up.

course I just love it so won't be selling if I'm lucky enuf to win

LARGE PIECE--bids so far 66.00

all your thoughts please!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: red wing pottery
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 12:44:20 pm »
Maybe I should send you all the earthen ware pots we have,they are as cheap as chips over here,..as for it being a Redwing...well, i,ve got a pair of them...they are size 12, and have steel toecaps, and a reinforced sole,...I got them in Texas... :D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 01:12:11 pm »
if your shoe size is as big as this crock you're name will be changed to big foot!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 01:42:47 pm »
if your shoe size is as big as this crock you're name will be changed to big foot!
WOW!!...for a millisecond there,i thought you,d said something else...then i saw the...r... ;D.....

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 01:49:20 pm »
literally made me laugh ==  and here I thought I was the clever one.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 06:01:28 pm »
Nice old crock! The markings would put it in the pre 1906 era. If it's free from cracks and noticeable chips, I would feel comfortable with a $99 bid. Either get it bought or make someone else pay for it.

I wouldn't worry about the closing of the current Red Wing Stoneware Co. affecting values on the vintage pieces. There's really no connection between them and the original company...other than the name.

Good luck!

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 06:14:51 pm »
THANK YOU RAUVILLE--been going back and forth all day on it.  So appreciate you taking the time to research it-

its so huge, I couldn't measure it but its at least 2-3 feet across and the height would be at least 3 feet tall, never have seen such a big piece, what would it have been used for?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 06:45:58 pm by bigwull »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 06:43:04 pm »
It may look "big", but 8 gallon was a somewhat common size to find in the home. Red Wing offered standard crocks in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40 and 50 gallon.

(Knowing your hometown...it might have been used for pickled pigs feet! :D)

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 07:04:21 pm »
thanks for the link big wull,  its in remarkable shape so I don't think it had as hard of a life as some on the market.

Rauville--lutefisk and pigs feet all around every holiday meal, never once then or since have I tried them, just the smell of them being made is a memory I try to forget!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 07:24:12 pm »
Why did you have to mention Pigs tootsies,I just love them,..but best of all is its Noggin,boiled in a BIG POT,until the flesh drops off,once cooked strain off the liquid, and put into large bowls, then add the meat,then leave to set, when set, scrape off the white lard, then cut the jellied Brawn into thick slices,add a dash of vinegar..then..yum,yum,

....but...as for the Lutefisk...well,..maybe the less said about that the better...no need to guess what she  thinks of lutefisk ;D ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 09:52:57 pm »
I have the same size crock here !! Its 14" across approx. and 15 1/2" tall !! I turned mine upside down and have my ivy on top !! Makes a good plant stand !! I don`t make that many pickles or sauerkraut !! I use a smaller one for that !!
Or you could have a round glass cut or just buy an old table with one,,put it on top and use it for a table on your deck  !! Has a neat country look !!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:56:31 pm by mart »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 03:20:05 am »
its so huge, I couldn't measure it but its at least 2-3 feet across and the height would be at least 3 feet tall, never have seen such a big piece, what would it have been used for?

If that's an 8 gallon jar then it's not as big as you say.

The dimensions you gave above would be in the 30 to 50 gallon range.

Here is a Red Wing 50 galloner ...

http://prockscrocksantiquestoneware.com/red-wing-union-stoneware-co-50-gallon-crock-425/

PS: you can find them up to 60 gallon.

They needed those big ones to make enough kraut. pickled corn, pickled beans, corned beef, etc. to feed a large family. And for making wine, lots of wine;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 03:28:15 am by cogar »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 09:28:52 am »
Methinks,you had better re-phrase cogar...a 45gallon drum,has a meaurement of 36in high x 22.1/2in in dia,..the measure of this crock that was quoted above was around 3ft high x 1ft to 2 ft wide...which even if you took it at the smaller dia...it would still exceed 8 gal

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 10:18:30 am »
I am heading out the door to see where the bidding is now, cogar is right the link supplied is very close to the look of the size (I am horrible at numbers) so sizing is a real guess for me but it is so large and heavy I will need help if I am lucky enuf to win.

wish me luck