Author Topic: Info required [1890s reclaimed victorian ambulence / litter Wheel Chandiller  (Read 3100 times)

J J Wiggins

• View Profile
Hello everyone. Completly new to this game but am looking to act as an agent for my client who has made some very interesting items.

My Client has what I believe to be a 1890's Wheel from a Victorian Ambulance Stretcher / Litter.

He has reclaimed this item bringing it back to its original glory and turned it into a chandelier.

I have been doing as much research as possible on the wheel and reclaimed antique chandeliers. Do you have any information atall you can give me regarding this item? Rareity, value, reclaiming these items and turning them into chandeliers.

Upon further research we will be selling this item soon.

Thanks   

mart

• View Profile
Welcome to the forum !!  Can you post a pic so we can see what you are talking about ?? Hard to make a valuation without seeing it !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
If i,m reading this correctly,..this is either a wind up.or..your"client" has taken a spoked wheel from a late Victorian Ambulance,.."restored"it, then turned it into a chandelier,...well,as Mart says without seeing this...bitsa...chan delier,we can tell you,nowt..but what i can say..is..this.."rare" wheel,is no longer rare,..because its now not a wheel,...its a "curio"..for want of a better word....personally. .i,d have to say it was worth more as a "rare" Victorian Ambulance wheel...than it,ll ever be...as a new chandelier, thats been made out of various bits and pieces..

btw...are we any relation to "Sir Bradley"...for if you are..he,d be the one to tell you about Wheels...would,nt he... ;D...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:48:36 pm by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

J J Wiggins

• View Profile
Little wool, shhhh up yah. Why would it be a wind up, I've only found out today that exactly what it was and the fact its rare.

My client is a carpenter amongst various other trades, he has made a lot of differnt things and they are just sitting round his house, and he is skint. He got this wheel from someone for £10 who said it was from a hospital and its from 1890. That is ALL the information he had and thus me. He purely designs and makes things to fit into this little pub like setup hes built into his house with no idea about antiquity value or with the view to sell it on. Thats why I've starting looking into his stuff too see what its worth. I am no antique dealer atall but I do have a head for buisness so I asked around, thats why I'm here!

Here some pictures, they are poor quality, I fear that biggwuff or whoever it is is correct in the fact that its going to devalue what I now know to be rare... but still. Would be interested to know what...

What would it have been worth in reasonable condition
Has reclaiming it (he has added no varnish, just teak oil) reduced the value and would it do the same for other wheels (he has others as chandillers)
What could it be worth now.

Thankyou. (I'm only joking btw Big, its just you thought I was fake, im not im just new today at this  :-*)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5sscdi8yt1kb3l/fwdphotos.zip

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
its quite obvious that you are new to this...for had you not been,then you would have realised that i, did not say you were a fake,...for had i for one minute thought you were..i,d tell you instead of beating about the bush,...which brings me to ...this "ad" of yours Wiggy..because that,s what it looks like...well, this is,nt that kind of forum,...no buying or selling,...furthermore your link to the pics...of the "wheel chandelier"..are no good,..as they will not be seen by some of the members on here,..therefore I would ask you to post the pics directly onto the forum...furthermore ...if you are intent on helping this "skint" carpenter...may i suggest you learn to spell ..for if you don,t..then i,m afraid your venture may be sink without trace... ;D.

J J Wiggins

• View Profile
Ok, yes I am new.

I didn't realize it was like that. I can tell you this, if it was as rare as you say, the "candiller" aspect isn't going to do the wheel justice. How rare is rare, It took me ages to find what I had to search for, I think they are only in two museams.

How much would it have been worth in decent nick? I honestly can't find anything to compare too. There are some reclaimed non antique wagon wheel chandeliers at £4500+ top end...

5 figures?  :-\ I may not tell him if hes carved his way into thousands...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Ok, yes I am new.

I didn't realize it was like that. I can tell you this, if it was as rare as you say, the "candiller" aspect isn't going to do the wheel justice. How rare is rare, It took me ages to find what I had to search for, I think they are only in two museams.

How much would it have been worth in decent nick? I honestly can't find anything to compare too. There are some reclaimed non antique wagon wheel chandeliers at £4500+ top end...

5 figures?  :-\ I may not tell him if hes carved his way into thousands...

So, what you are now saying is..."you could easily become a Crooked Agent"...for this skint carpenter,.....lets look at this scenario,this skint client..carpenter,gives you this chandelier,...you sell it for 5 figures...but tell him you only got 3...then later he finds out that you told him a porky...how long do you think you will be his agent,...if that scenario arises...for if that did happen...you may find the next thing he would make would be a wooden oblong box...in just your size...now I think its time i hit this on the head..."hello.&.goodbye  ::)

J J Wiggins

• View Profile
Listen, I wouldn't tell him cos it would upset him Wuff.

Anyone without a huge sense of internet superiority able to answer my question? of explain how I can phase what I'm trying to ask without it upsetting people on Yewtree's wanted list?

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
you come into a forum as a new person, insult a member of long standing, and want further help? 

I doubt you will find it here after you have shown your true colors. 

J J Wiggins

• View Profile
I'm really really sorry, I didn't mean any offense, just found the reply a bit narky considering I stated I was new and don't know the ropes.

X

mart

• View Profile
I cannot see anything at that link !! Can you post them directly to this site !!  As to the wheel,, it doesn`t make a difference if it is only one it the world if there is no collector base for them !!  There are collectors if it was still on the ambulance but without that,, its just another old wheel no matter the age !! 1890 is not that old so calling it rare might not be correct !! As far as a museum having one,,they have many items that are for the public to see,, but museums do not pay for them !! Most all are donated !!
Is there a name anywhere on the wheel ??

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Well, there are few uses for old wagon wheels and recycling them as chandeliers is a way of giving them a second life. The good thing is that your client left the finish alone and went for a rustic look. I think if I were his or her decorator I would suggest replacing the obvious vanity mirror lighting with something more in keeping with the old west or rustic Victorian look.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I am glad you can see the picture Talesof because all I get is a dropbox page!

Hate to agree, but any value in relation to original usage of this item would be lost (if any) once it has been transformed into a new piece.  In fact, it may be worth more now!

Sure would love to see a picture of it.

I love upcycled, relifed, what ever word you want to call it....I love those items being used again and not being tossed!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
9.5 MB download...just to try an open a pic...no wonder we can,t see it.....someone,s taking the piss....