Author Topic: Late 1800's Mahogany Leaved Dining Table & Chairs  (Read 6843 times)

DubAntique

• View Profile
Re: Late 1800's Mahogany Leaved Dining Table & Chairs
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 10:02:34 am »
Hi All,

So - it's either a real or reproduced Joseph Fritter Extending Mechanism Chippendale Table.

Made somewhere after 1895 onwards

Is there any way to figure out if it's real or not - and does that effect the value ?

Was the valuation of £1200-£1500 also including the 6 chairs ?

Thanks,

Al.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 10:21:59 am »
the value is greatly affected if its real...from what Ipcress said..he,s valued it with the chairs..as to whether is real or a repro...it all depends on the fixings, i.e. machined screws as opposed to hand cut...hand cut joints ..or machined joints,..the type of glue..was it, animal based  glue or synthetic...all these things have to be looked at...but for selling purposes, the mere fact that it has a ....JF mechanism..helps it a lot...if and when you advertise it...just highlight that it has a JF winder...and leave it at that...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 10:25:40 am »
Hey Al,
It's a late 19th century reproduction of the Chippendale (1750-1790) period style of furniture. I am guessing the hardware is original. Period chippendale furniture is, generally speaking, much more valuable
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:01:50 am by jacon4 »

Ipcress

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 11:10:36 am »
Hi All,

So - it's either a real or reproduced Joseph Fritter Extending Mechanism Chippendale Table.

Made somewhere after 1895 onwards

Is there any way to figure out if it's real or not - and does that effect the value ?

Was the valuation of £1200-£1500 also including the 6 chairs ?

Thanks,

Al.

Hi
yes.as jacon has said, it's a Victorian reproduction of an earlier table, so still real !
The value I gave was an auction estimate with chairs. Seen one do more without but its best to be
cautious, especially as I can't examine it

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 12:25:09 pm »
As we have all said,, it is a reproduction,,not a period table but that makes it no less real !! The crank mech, does add to the value !! Looked around a bit and it could well be higher than the previous estimate !! Depending on the condition of the table set and who is shopping for one !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 01:33:13 pm »
Okay, not saying anything that the others haven't already said.  But agree, it is a reproduction (which it is real because we can see it, etc) and stylized after an earlier piece.  It bears it's own value and I believe that the values stated here recently $1200 - $1500 are what this item would sell in a proper venue in my neck of the woods.

I wouldn't doubt if there isn't much wear/tear on it if it remained in a formal area and barely used.  (Unlike my home where everyone -not me- sets up their laptops/computers and sits instead of the office!  Go Figure!)

Highly possible/probable that it could be original hardware due to it's possible age (from what we can see - however, bear in mind we are going off of photos and not a hands on which has much more merit!)

I have a reproduction set and can tell you mine was made within the past 25 years and they made it look mighty authentic to an original.  I love antiques...but wasn't willing to fork out all the money for an original! 

This style is still popular and classic.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 02:06:53 pm »
A kindly word of caution...when you come to advertise it...make sure you say its a Chippendale table,cos if you don,t then you might get some halfwit from my side of the pond...or even yours....who,ll think you might be trying to sell these guys.... ;D...

DubAntique

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 02:20:03 pm »
Perhaps a nice framed picture of the boys there might help sell it to the right buyer then ;-D

I do know that my mother bought it around 1973/74.

In fairness to her, it's been kept really well.  She's constantly bitching at my dad for leaving stuff on it now, and is worried that he'll do some proper damage to it - that is actually her primary reason for wanting to sell it now.

Thanks a million for all the info everyone - it's an amazing world this Antiques game - and great to see such passion.

I've another few items of her's that she wants me to look into aswell so I may be back here after some research on some of them.

Al. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 02:44:33 pm »
I think that this table set might go above that estimate if put in the right auction !!  Check with a few auction houses in your area !! If estimate is about the same as we have given,,don`t bother with them !! Just list it by owner !!  But I would not take less than $1500. !! The market is tough now days but I think it is well worth that if not a bit more !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 03:55:01 pm »
Al we welcome your treasures!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 04:44:23 pm »
I think that this table set might go above that estimate if put in the right auction !!  Check with a few auction houses in your area !! If estimate is about the same as we have given,,don`t bother with them !! Just list it by owner !!  But I would not take less than $1500. !! The market is tough now days but I think it is well worth that if not a bit more !!

i'm talking in sterling, Mart !

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 05:13:36 pm »
at todays exchange rate that,s $2403.30...Mart...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 06:24:27 pm »
I know what you are talking about !! But I am talking USD which would be less !! I don`t know where the table set actually is,,here or on your side of the pond !!  I am assuming it in the UK but,,just to be sure !! If with you guys the value is about right,, if here,, could be more than what I said earlier !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 06:35:25 pm »
I,m Confused...again... if you said $1500 in a previous post..which you did..and now you are saying it could be more....then .is,nt $2406.30....more... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 08:23:21 pm »
Yes and in a following post I said I had looked around a bit and these tables with the expanding screw have been bringing more than what I stated  !! Several that were not as good as this one (in my opinion) brought a higher price !! Of course that could change on any given day and we can`t keep up with all things so it helps to recheck every once in a while !!  At any rate,,if the table set is here in the states I would price it at $2500. and deal from there !! I knew that your price was hitting on the money but mine was not !!