Author Topic: Folk Art Fish or Fake Art Fish?  (Read 6789 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Folk Art Fish or Fake Art Fish?
« on: November 13, 2013, 01:52:20 pm »
I bought these three little fishes with an attached bobber at a sale for a dollar. A woman was closing down a roadside farm stand and had it as a decoration. The red and white bobber is not real to me. It does not have the wire guides for the line. Was this made in China in the past couple years or made as a decoration by someone here decades ago or somewhere else. The rope looks old as do the wires that hold it together. The fish were painted on old wood I think although it might have gotten that way from being outside. What do you think? There are a lot of tourist shops around here that sell all kind of faux nautical and fishing stuff. I just bought it to hang out on the porch.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Folk Art Fish or Fake Art Fish?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 01:59:29 pm »
Can,t see them being Chinese...they don,t have any fish in their rivers...cos they are like.toxic soup....so i,m going to plump for local...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 02:04:54 pm »
Here are two more. In the one picture you can see the old sea and sand worn Roses Lime Juice bottle that Bigwull tossed over the side of the old British sailing vessel.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 02:08:48 pm »
I can't tell if they are "newer" art that has been purposely weathered or "older" folk art.

Either way, I like it!  Like your little niche in the corner as well!

This type of art is highly pinned on Pinterest and loved!!!  (I am one of those that loves to pin these type of looks/items as well.)  Over the past 2 years older ocean/water related items have taken an upturn in interest.

This would sell on Etsy easy for $10 - $15!!!  Great buy!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 02:10:40 pm »
Roses Lime Juice Cordial...with Gordons Gin...and crushed ice...great on a hot day....it fare maks yer cheeks suck in... ;D

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 02:17:57 pm »
I like it with Vodka on the rocks. Gimlet they call it. It was originally made to prevent scurvy on ships. That is actually where I believe that bottle came from. It was found by the ocean. I posted it last year on here. It dates from 1900. I have one more pic here.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 02:56:15 pm »
Neat find whatever it is !! It would take a few years to get that much weathering !! I would call it Folk Art !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 03:38:34 pm »
I used to occupy some of my spare time making whimsical wooden fish spearing decoys, depicting fish with human faces, etc. I would stamp my initials and date on them, paint and distress them, and sell them as modern folk art pieces. Most of the time I had to convince a buyer that I had made them, and that they were not old. I finally decided to quit when I attended a “vetted antique show” and saw some of my decoys being represented as original folk art and priced in the hundreds!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 03:52:46 pm »
Apparently you did too good of job Rauville!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 04:35:16 pm »
Well, i hope i have the same kind of luck with my wooden cannons...will post pics tomorrow of the latest pair.....they have 25in... oak barrels,..and are sleeved with 22mm pipe,the carriage is oak,..and the total legth is 30in,..there a place in Texas that makes wooden ones...but their prices start at $2200...and although they look good..they don,t fire...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 06:34:52 pm »
I used to occupy some of my spare time making whimsical wooden fish spearing decoys, depicting fish with human faces, etc. I would stamp my initials and date on them, paint and distress them, and sell them as modern folk art pieces. Most of the time I had to convince a buyer that I had made them, and that they were not old. I finally decided to quit when I attended a “vetted antique show” and saw some of my decoys being represented as original folk art and priced in the hundreds!

Why quit Rauville ?? They were original,,your designs,, and assuming you are not a schooled artist,, it would be folk art !! Folk art is being produced as we speak !! It doesn`t have to be old !! Only problem you had was in not getting the same money they did !! I have done several folk art paintings one of which did quite well at a juried show here !! Still it was just folk art because I am self taught !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 06:40:19 pm »
but..are you any good at painting walls ....for if you are............
.if your ever thinking of a holiday in Scotland...well, we have a spare guest room... ;D

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 07:35:07 pm »
I'm thinking they are old worn from the sea.  I live in Maine and they look much like the wood that washes up here.  The lines are a telling sign of age in the wood.  They don't look created by anything other than the sea. 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 07:38:24 pm »
Maine....Mmm....The Walking Dude state..... ;D

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 07:43:56 pm »
Walking Dude State??????  Don't get it???