Author Topic: Can you help me date this sculpture  (Read 1689 times)

veryoldstuff

• View Profile
Can you help me date this sculpture
« on: November 15, 2013, 08:16:10 am »
Good morning. I am a long time watcher but first time poster here. Invaluable forum for sure!

I bought this sculpture at an online auction a few weeks back and am trying to put together some information about it. It looked a little bit like my grandmother and so I was drawn to it right away. Now that I have received it I realize it might be of a man. (sorry Grandma). It is very heavy and solid. Possibly formed from concrete or some other stone. The head and neck are 15 inches tall. It is signed Pirozzi.

My ancestors are Quakers from Pennsylvania and this so reminded me of them.

Can you help me identify anything about it? Thanks in advance.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Can you help me date this sculpture
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 10:20:28 am »
https://www.google.com/search?q=Lee+Pirozzi+sculpture&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CkiGUvdjsd3gA_HwgagF&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ

Glad you decided to post here !!
This sculptor seems to be obsessed with peoples heads and brains !!  Couldn`t get his gallery to come up but evidently he is still working and has a website !! Why don`t you try emailing him !! I didn`t see this one but only looked at first page !!  I do believe it is female from the hair but you never know !! It does have a Quaker look !!

veryoldstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 10:29:08 am »
Oh my gosh...thanks so much for the link. I think I will contact them and look at the gallery if I can get it to come up. I so appreciate it!

Rauville

• View Profile

veryoldstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 01:54:41 pm »
Here's another one to look at:
http://www.giuseppepirozzi.it/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=35

Yours looks "somewhat similar" to his early work:
http://www.giuseppepirozzi.it/new/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=27&catid=27&PageNo=2

Thank you! Giuseppe's work might be one to look into. The first link above...I contacted her and this was not hers. This seems very old...just the coloring and the overall look to it. I really thought it might be 19th century or earlier. Thanks for the links. Everything helps.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 05:25:32 pm »
I just assumed it was Lee`s work since it was in that style !!  Never thought about the possibility of another with the same last name !! But had a lot going on here !! I should have looked closer !!