Author Topic: Don Quixote painting signed che  (Read 16929 times)

Snadeau

• View Profile
Don Quixote painting signed che
« on: November 16, 2013, 08:15:18 am »
I bought this painting at a flea market in Richmond. I have searched for three months looking as far away as Latin America, Mexico, Sweden, Spain, and Cuba. The only person I have found that signs their name che is Che Guevara. The signature is a close match but perhaps not close enough. I've been told that Che painted but no one seems to know if any of his paintings have survived. The only people that would have knowledge of this are not talking...will not confirm or acknowledge his art...only state he was a revolutionary and revolutionary's don't have time to paint! Does anyone recognize this painting or the signature? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The painting is old but not ancient, is not stretched, was nailed to a solid surface for painting, has some warping, and is on a burlap type canvas.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Don Quixote painting signed che
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 08:30:53 am »
signatures can vary...i,ve signed my name for 40 odd years...and i doubt if i,ve ever signed it the same way twice...but its close enough...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Snadeau

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:32:53 am »
I agree...it's even more difficult to sign with a paint brush and have the signature be a perfect match!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 08:35:53 am »
I agree...it's even more difficult to sign with a paint brush and have the signature be a perfect match!
STOP!!...we,re jumping about like a jack in the box,stay on the other post... ;D

Snadeau

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 09:05:37 am »
Sorry, but this is the post I want up as it contains more info. So how do I get rid of the other post?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 09:41:52 am »
you should be able to remove it...or at least all your posts below the topic post...just look in the right hand corner where it says modify remove...

Snadeau

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 02:07:31 pm »
I tried that and I get a message that says I cannot delete my own messages in this forum (or something like that).

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 02:48:50 pm »
oh well...

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 03:55:46 pm »
Ask Talesofthesevenseas I think she is the only one who could remove the extra posts.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 04:08:46 pm »
yeah....she,s good at removing things...........

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 08:00:36 pm »
Where are you located Snadeau ??   Still looking on this !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 09:10:29 am »
Is the town you bought this in Maine or was it Richmond Virginia ??  Did you ask when you bought it about its history or where it came from ??  Reason I ask is because there is or was one done in a similar style but different pic listed on ebay ?? Signature was the same !!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-PAINTING-THOUGHT-TO-BE-BY-CHE-GUEVARA-NEW-INFO-ON-CHE-AS-ARTIST-/301007390931?nma=true&si=K0jUV4ToN4MmIliaf6VdISeIicY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Snadeau

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 10:20:19 am »
Thank you for your link, I'll check it further...now the plot thickens! I bought the piece in Richmond VA and the owner of the shop said they bought it from an estate sale but couldn't remember where or whose estate. I'm attaching a better photo of Che Guevara's signature from an official document rather than wiki-whatever! The signature on my painting and now the second painting are very close to Che Guevara's signature with the exception of the accent mark on the e. In the Spanish spelling, prior to 1961, the term che (when using it as a slang for friend, buddy) did have the e accented and the c was not capitalized as it was not a persons name. Che Guevara was given the nickname by Nico Lopez while in Mexico around 1954 (?). He officially added the term che to his legal name and started signing official documents che (not capitalized) with no accent on the e but always with an underscore under the h. I think what I need is to locate a photo of his artwork which I'm sure his family has but they will not confirm...I keep getting the "he was a revolutionary and revolutionaries do not have time to paint." I'll keep searching.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 10:31:08 am »
The signatures on the art and the one you just posted have enough major differences to say it is not his !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 10:42:25 am »
Quite interesting,, the person that posted the one on ebay happens to be an artist in Marion, North Carolina !!  The artwork you have as well as his is almost identical as far as the way its mounted,,right down to the nails,,signatures on both art pieces are almost identical yet does not match his known signatures !!