Author Topic: Don Quixote painting signed che  (Read 16925 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Don Quixote painting signed che
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 11:23:50 am »
Only about 300 miles between those two cities !!  How likely would these occurances be ??  That two pieces of art by an obscure artist who cannot be verified if he indeed painted at all,,would show up within 300 miles of each other with one in the hands of an artist ?? And to top all that,,very little way to verify if these are his since there is no known work online to compare !!  Assuming that Che`s artwork was done and is outside the U.S,,how would these get to one small area in the states ??

Snadeau

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 11:44:46 am »
Not so far fetched...the donkey painting you referred me to was purchased at a Goodwill store outside Atlanta, GA. Mine was purchased at a flea market in Richmond VA. There is another one out there somewhere because I found a question posted on a website about the value of a painting of Don Quixote on a horse signed che. There is another art forum where two (or three, I can't remember) people had paintings signed che and they were trying to find out who the artist che was (that was back in 2004-2009). No one responded. So it appears there are more che paintings out there and mine is just one of several. If Che's father had not stated that he (Che) was fond of painting, and if Che wasn't connected (through his own writing in letters to his family) to Don Quixote (not to mention it was his favorite book and was the first book printed in Cuba and given to the people free) I would scratch his name off the possibilities...but ....
As for signatures...here are more and honestly, none of them are identical! So I'm not ready to give up based on signatures...also keeping in mind the difference between a penned signature and one made with a paint brush.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 12:47:00 pm »
I am an artist and have painted over 30 years !! I can say that signing with a brush is easy and you do not change the basic shape of the letters !! Anyone can look at something I signed 20 years ago and something I write on  paper and see that the signatures match by looking at the shape of the letters !!
239 miles between Marion, NC and Atlanta GA !!  Any of the information you have is easily found online !! 

Snadeau

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 01:31:48 pm »
Yes, all of the information I have discovered was found on the internet. It's what I've learned since starting this search. Prior to purchasing this painting, I did not know who Che Guevara was. I'd seen his face on t-shirts back in the late 60's but I was not a part of the 60's revolution, rather I was too busy with trying to make a living and support two kids! What attracted me to this particular painting was the fact that it's an original piece of artwork, it's old, it's definitely Don Quixote, it's rather well done and it only cost me $26.33. I'm attaching a photo of the receipt. Unfortunately the receipt doesn't have the name of the flea market but my daughter lives in Richmond, I could ask her to get the name for me...if it were needed.

After purchasing the painting, I started the search for who the artist is/was. Before I invest real money in getting it restored and framed I want to know if it is worth the estimate ($500) otherwise I'll try to stretch and frame it myself and hang in the foyer. My painting is not for sale. I am not attempting to determine the value of the painting, I'm only looking to find the artist or someone who has other paintings signed che and might know who che is. I'm not convinced the artist is Che Guevara but through all my research I've found no one else anywhere in the world (at least not on the internet) that painted and signed their name che.

I appreciate your input but I don't agree with your opinion on signatures...the three photos of Che Guevara's signature are all very different...and I have more. Also, if Che Guevara is the artist, painting was something he did for pleasure...he didn't paint for a living nor did he ever sell any artwork. Like I said before, I believe the signature on my painting is close enough with the exception of the accent mark on the e. If you are 'alluding' to the possibility that my painting could be a forgery by someone who is attempting to pass the artwork off as Che Guevara's work, why would the artist use the accent mark on the e when che didn't? Whoever painted my painting was an artist within his own right, signed his name che with an accent on the e and my painting is not the only painting this person did. I can now confirm there are two. Both on the east coast. One framed in FL, purchased in Atlanta and the other purchased in Richmond, VA. People in the US move around a lot, they die, their heirs inherit their possessions and dispose of their possessions. I can easily understand how these two paintings ended up in flea market/Goodwill stores in Richmond and Atlanta. Why one was purchased by an artist? Because she appreciates art, liked the painting, thought the artist might be Che Guevara and believes the painting might be very valuable. Not exactly the direction I'm going in but understandable and not unremarkable if you ask me.

At any rate, like I've said before I'm interested in finding anyone who might recognize the painting, the artists signature, or the artist who did it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 01:57:14 pm »
I am not disputing anything you have said !!  But after seeing the price that the ebay seller asked and the BIN combined with his ebay ID (dogoodforusnow) which struck me as odd !! As well as the close proximity of the two pieces it occurred to me that one may have been salted and that both may have been done by the ebay seller looking to cash in on what would normally be an uncommon piece of art !! I have found no other work attributed to him but couldn`t get Leland Gallery to open so have no idea what they have.  $500. is not an expensive piece of art,,I would suggest that you take your work to a gallery and get their opinion if the art is actually his or not !!  That would give some credence to the one you have !!  The ebay seller is not doing well,,no interest, no watchers, no bids !!
As to the accent mark,, that is also online that he ocassionally used it !!

Snadeau

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 04:54:41 pm »
In my search for signatures, I have not found any reference to Che Guevara's use of the accented e nor have I found a signature of his with the e accented. Do you have a reference I could use to confirm?

If the painting were not old, I might understand your logic/reasoning. I took my painting to several art galleries and one museum. All said the same thing...do I have a provenance on the piece? My response...what's a provenance? No one at the galleries or museum recognized the style or signature (none of them suggested Che Guevara) and were not able to help. Since I purchased it at a flea market and the owner of the flea market doesn't remember whose estate they purchased it from and they do not keep records of their purchases or what they sell that pretty much shuts that door pretty tight!

I still don't understand how you got from an art piece found in a thrift store to someone 'salting' (whatever that means) these two paintings! Also, there are the other pieces out there (going back to 2004-2009) that I have not been able to track down.

All I know is that I want to solve this mystery, if possible, before I spend $500. If it is a Che Guevara painting it would be worth my spending the $500 to have it restored professionally and correctly. However, if the artist is not recognized in the field of art, it isn't worth $500 to restore but because I like the painting it is worth restoring and framing myself and it becomes a family heirloom. In searching for the artist, I am keeping a journal of each and every search, question, response, advise, suggestions, etc. it will all be typed up and attached to the painting when it is framed. I have correspondence from Spain, Sweden, Mexico, Argentina, and Cuba. I have an autographed book by a poet/author who wrote about Che Guevara who knows his wife and children. She would only confirm that she too had heard he painted but she did not know of his paintings (if there are any or where they are).

My search continues...perhaps I am chasing windmills!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 05:39:56 pm »
In my search for signatures, I have not found any reference to Che Guevara's use of the accented e nor have I found a signature of his with the e accented. Do you have a reference I could use to confirm?

If the painting were not old, I might understand your logic/reasoning. I took my painting to several art galleries and one museum. All said the same thing...do I have a provenance on the piece? My response...what's a provenance? No one at the galleries or museum recognized the style or signature (none of them suggested Che Guevara) and were not able to help. Since I purchased it at a flea market and the owner of the flea market doesn't remember whose estate they purchased it from and they do not keep records of their purchases or what they sell that pretty much shuts that door pretty tight!

I still don't understand how you got from an art piece found in a thrift store to someone 'salting' (whatever that means) these two paintings! Also, there are the other pieces out there (going back to 2004-2009) that I have not been able to track down.

All I know is that I want to solve this mystery, if possible, before I spend $500. If it is a Che Guevara painting it would be worth my spending the $500 to have it restored professionally and correctly. However, if the artist is not recognized in the field of art, it isn't worth $500 to restore but because I like the painting it is worth restoring and framing myself and it becomes a family heirloom. In searching for the artist, I am keeping a journal of each and every search, question, response, advise, suggestions, etc. it will all be typed up and attached to the painting when it is framed. I have correspondence from Spain, Sweden, Mexico, Argentina, and Cuba. I have an autographed book by a poet/author who wrote about Che Guevara who knows his wife and children. She would only confirm that she too had heard he painted but she did not know of his paintings (if there are any or where they are).

My search continues...perhaps I am chasing windmills!

Chasing Windmills..Mmm..... I think the words you are looking for are......as they would say in Spain...molinos de viento ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Snadeau

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 06:03:05 pm »
Bigwull:

Grazie per il tuo commento su mulini a vento, a volte penso che sto girando su uno in una giomata molto ventosa!

Saluti

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 07:07:36 pm »
Salting was and I think still is a common practice at auctions although not in this manner !! And I said that was my first thought !! That is where someone has an item that is real and some that are not !! The real one is sold,,other people  look at it and of course there is discussion among the buyers,,later the fake/repro ones are sold and since they saw one good one,, the price for the repro`s goes way higher than it ever would have without that one sacrificial lamb !!  The dealer does well on all !!

Snadeau

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 09:08:30 pm »
Thank you for the explanation. Salting doesn't sound very nice, respectable nor legal. But I can assure you, in the case of my painting and the one in North Carolina...there is no salting (or peppering for that matter) involved. The donkey painting was framed at a shop in Ft Lauderdale, FL in 1973 and the painting has never been taken out of the frame since it was framed. How did it end up at a Goodwill store in Atlanta? Too many ways to list and all perfectly understandable and believable. Especially since most people living on the east coast have been to Florida at least once in their lifetimes! Why did an artist from Marion, NC buy it? Don't people, artist included, buy other peoples artwork if they like it? The seller of the donkey painting and I have joined in the search to find out who Che the artist is. If I could track down those other people who had paintings signed by someone named che I might be able to solve the mystery. I'm attaching a photo of the donkey painting in case this painting looks familiar to anyone.

Perhaps I should change my handle to 'the woman who chases windmills'!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 09:41:53 pm »
LOL !!  Good luck !! I think the correct wording is "Chasing Rainbows" !! I wish you well in your search !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 03:47:14 am »
Thank you for the explanation. Salting doesn't sound very nice, respectable nor legal. But I can assure you, in the case of my painting and the one in North Carolina...there is no salting (or peppering for that matter) involved. The donkey painting was framed at a shop in Ft Lauderdale, FL in 1973 and the painting has never been taken out of the frame since it was framed. How did it end up at a Goodwill store in Atlanta? Too many ways to list and all perfectly understandable and believable. Especially since most people living on the east coast have been to Florida at least once in their lifetimes! Why did an artist from Marion, NC buy it? Don't people, artist included, buy other peoples artwork if they like it? The seller of the donkey painting and I have joined in the search to find out who Che the artist is. If I could track down those other people who had paintings signed by someone named che I might be able to solve the mystery. I'm attaching a photo of the donkey painting in case this painting looks familiar to anyone.

Perhaps I should change my handle to 'the woman who chases windmills'!
Noooooooooo!!....Don Quixote,Tilted at Windmills....becaus e he thought they were Giants....

Snadeau

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 07:19:48 am »
Ok mart and bigwull...If Don Quixote had an old painting signed by an artist named che...he'd be chasing windmills too! Chasing windmills usually means chasing something that doesn't exist...kind of like chasing a ghost...kinda like chasing che!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:45:43 pm by Snadeau »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 08:21:03 am »
LOL !! I have never heard of "chasing windmills",, here in the south  "chasing rainbows" means the same thing !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 10:56:23 am »
If you have,nt read Don Quixote,..by Cervantes,..pronounced Kayhoty...then thats why You have,nt heard the saying Mart..

The expression “chasing windmills” is an example of a mixed metaphor and is not really correct.

The 2 mixed expressions are:

“Chasing rainbows” = going after or seeking something nearly impossible to obtain.

“He quit his job and abandoned his family. Then he took off for Hollywood hoping to become a movie star. But he’s just chasing rainbows.”

“tilting at windmills” = fighting imaginary enemies or confronting imaginary problems. (origin: Don Quixote).

“That country spends 50% of its GNP on armaments fearing an invasion by one of its neighbors. But it’s basically just tilting at windmills.