Author Topic: Dates of Provincial Pattern on Scio China (Scio Pottery, Scio, Ohio)?  (Read 2959 times)

FamilyHeirlooms

• Geneaologist researching my family heirlooms
    • View Profile
Hello,

I was curious if anyone knew the dates that the Provincial Pattern was used on Scio China from the Scio Pottery Company of Scio, Ohio. This pattern is a green rooster in the center surrounded by a floral border on white china.

In my research I have learned that the Scio Company started making china in 1932 and that the Provincial Pattern was discontinued in 1963. However I have been unable to locate a date that they started making the pattern.

I have a complete set that my grandmother owned. My mother believed that she purchased this set in the late 1930's or early 1940's, but I have not been able to confirm this.

Thanks.

Joe

mart

• View Profile
Re: Dates of Provincial Pattern on Scio China (Scio Pottery, Scio, Ohio)?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 11:29:25 am »
Can we see pics and the mark on the back please !! Generally these pieces could have been done any number of years the company was in operation !!  They did not usually do a particular pattern then just stop !! They were usually done as long as the pattern remained popular and sold well !! Many times they were reissued at a later time after main production stopped !!

FamilyHeirlooms

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 06:02:28 pm »
Can we see pics and the mark on the back please !! Generally these pieces could have been done any number of years the company was in operation !!  They did not usually do a particular pattern then just stop !! They were usually done as long as the pattern remained popular and sold well !! Many times they were reissued at a later time after main production stopped !!
Here are a couple pics of one of the pieces (a plate). There are no marks on the back. I have learned from what little research I have done that Scio Pottery did not put marks on their pottery (at least not on the Provincial Pattern pieces).

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 06:39:19 pm »
Because the company made inexpensive dinnerware the bottoms of their wares were not marked in order to keep costs down !! But the company is still in operation even though they do not make dinnerware anymore and is still run by the same family !! I would email them directly and ask since nothing is online !! I think records were lost when it burned but I bet the family can tell you its production dates !!
http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/harrison/pottery.html

FamilyHeirlooms

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 10:10:57 am »
Thanks for the info. I will try and contact the company directly and see if they can shed any light on it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 10:18:16 am »
Let us know what you find out !!!