Author Topic: Old Simplex Ironing Machine  (Read 2562 times)

malibubu

• View Profile
Old Simplex Ironing Machine
« on: November 18, 2013, 04:53:14 pm »
Hi everybody! New member here with my first post! I do not yet have photos uploaded yet but i will have them here very soon.
 I am looking for any sort of information on what I believe to be a 1911 Simplex Ironing machine. I am looking for any history on who made them, from when to when they were produced, the rarity of them, and how desireable they can be.
 My wife and I just purchased our first house which was built in 1885 and in the basement was left for was, this old appliance. It uses gas flame to heat up a 42" long, stationary iron, and an electric motor to rotate a 42" long by about 8" round drum that rolls the fabrics against the iron. It looks as if it hasn't been used for a very very long time as the padding around the drum is torn and falling off. It stands on 2.5' iron legs with nice hardwood on them. About 75% of the sheet metal and 25% of the iron is rusty.
  The pictures I will be posting soon will show it partially disassembled as i am currently in the process of restoring it.
  I have spent hours and hours scouring the web in search of any sort of information about its history and worth to no avail. The only pictures i have found of other ones like it have been from 3 different ebay sales such as this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VINTAGE-1911-SIMPLEX-IRONER-WOOD-IRON-MACHINE-AMERICAN-IRONING-USA-/280935469944

Any help would be greatly appriciated!
Take your time and have fun!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Old Simplex Ironing Machine
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 04:59:54 pm »
we call this in the UK a Calender
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 10:00:49 pm »
You will have to trust me on this,,if you have ever used one of these,,you will know why they are hard to find !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 04:03:47 am »
Avril used one of these albeit a 6 footer,when she worked in a laundry....it could press a double bed size sheet,..hard going for someone with short arms...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 08:10:16 am »
Ooops !! Forgot to say welcome to the group !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 08:19:38 am »
Ooops !! Forgot to say welcome to the group !!

old age does,nt come alone....first its the wisp of grey,...then its your peepers....now its yer bren....join the club... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 08:21:45 am »
I know,,,don`t remind me !!!