Author Topic: Pottery mark help please  (Read 3902 times)

kdj

• View Profile
Pottery mark help please
« on: November 18, 2013, 06:42:13 pm »
Thanks to those that know more than I do!!! Does anyone recognize the marks on this dish?
This is a divided one handled serving dish. It has gold gilt trim. I appreciate help with the marks on the bottom.
Carved into the pottery and under the glaze is a capital  R   and the remnants of what looks like a painted  S (?) on the other side of the bottom, and a number. The closest dishes I can find are
RS Prussia. Pictures show similar painted flowers etc. But those dishes have a clear inked or painted stamp underneath. I did look at a pottery mark web site but have not found the mark R etched or carved into the pottery. Thank you!

icedgold10

• View Profile
Re: Pottery mark help please
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 06:45:46 pm »
Very pretty!  The number would be the factory number that painted it.  I'm sure someone will be along soon that can give you much more information on it.

kdj

• View Profile
Re: Pottery mark R help please
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 03:18:04 pm »
Thanks icedold10! Still looking for info on the R mark on the bottom. Wondered about Roseville but the dish does not fit the style of Roseville pottery. Leaning toward RS Prussia. Thoughts anyone?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 05:03:51 pm »
Need to go to the RS Prussia Collectors site !! Almost all the molds used are well documented as are the designs !! Pretty sure its not RS Prussia but there are several other "maybe`s" !!  They could give you a pretty good idea of where to look !!  There are many look-a-likes !!
Where did you get this dish ??

Ipcress

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 05:20:40 pm »
I realise this is about knowledge and identifying the maker but it's worth very little and the ultimate question is would you spend days looking for a needle in a stack of needles and be not much the wiser ? There were thousands of different factories producing this type of stuff and hardly anyone is buying it now and has no chance of revival.

I'll post this here as a pdf link which should be downloaded. Excellent resource for many marks.

http://www.ceramic-link.de/icd/pdf/Hooper_Phillips_POTTERY_PORCELAIN_1894.pdf

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 07:11:40 pm »
mart -  it came from an estate sale here. I agree on what it is not.
Ipcress - yes this is about knowledge and curiosity. The thing that bugs me is, when I look through the thousands of pottery marks, they are not what is on my dish.
Thanks all!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 07:31:02 pm »
Sometimes it's about the thrill of the hunt.  I love playing detective and hunting information down.   ;D

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 07:49:26 pm »
Yup! The hunt is the best -  someday I would love to find out I actually bought a real find! AND when we are cleaning out the closets and getting rid of things, why should we let something go in a yard sale or where ever and not know what it is worth?  :)

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 07:52:51 pm »
Look at that family that sold that rare bowl in a yard sale and turned out it was worth over a million dollars.  Bet they are kicking themselves. ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 08:03:33 pm »
mart -  it came from an estate sale here. I agree on what it is not.
Ipcress - yes this is about knowledge and curiosity. The thing that bugs me is, when I look through the thousands of pottery marks, they are not what is on my dish.
Thanks all!

Did you ask where the previous owners got it ??  As a rule,,when something looks like something you know it isn`t,,and with a mark you can`t track down,,its a look-a-like copy !! There can be exceptions but its rare !!  I would rather see nothing at all on the bottom than one like this !! That number on yours is a style/color/shape number,,many companies used a number system in order to keep orders correct !!  Ocassionally you may see a single number or initial off to the side of a makers mark,, that is usually the decorators number !! The artists worked and got paid according to how many they could complete,, they initialed or numbered them so they would get paid for each one !!

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 08:06:17 pm »
icegold...  On the news here...
Someone sold an old desk. The buyer could not get it through a doorway in his home so he took the desk apart. The buyer found $98,000.00 hidden in the desk. The buyer gave all of the money back to the elderly lady whose life savings it was.
THANKS mart! good info!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:08:32 pm by kdj »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 08:26:35 pm »
I heard about that desk !! They had the person that bought it on Fox News,, !! He got a nice reward for returning it,,undisclosed amount !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 08:33:40 pm »
http://www.whatsellsbest.com/best-ebay-live-collectible-auction.html

This site tells what the top selling items in each category on ebay are !! Look at the top under "Treasures" to see the finds many are coming across at garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores ect !! Amazing finds !! They are still out there,,but in my case not in the state of Texas !!  I am just not that lucky !!