Author Topic: Unidentified British Bike Circa 1918  (Read 8472 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Unidentified British Bike Circa 1918
« on: November 21, 2013, 12:32:56 pm »
I'm in the process of working with a seller for a partial trade, partial cash purchase of this antique bike. I consulted a friend who is working on an antique bike exhibit for a local museum, I ran it by him and he gave the deal an enthusiastic stamp of approval.

It's British, the sprocket is made by Scott, but there is no badge or other identifying marks, which is common for a British bike. It looks very similar to the Engin bike pictured in the color ad below, but there are differences in the details. The guy I'm buying it from deals in British bikes and even he doesn't know who made this one, but if anyone would like to try to ID it, have at it! The wheels have a date of 3-18, the bike may be slightly earlier.

The first two photos are of the bike. We're sorting out a problem on the tires at the moment and it needs some cosmetic things like old pedals and the skirt guard lacing, but it is functional and with the tire fix, it will be rideable.

There is of course the option to eventually do a restoration, nickle plating and paint. Starting out I'm going to enjoy it unrestored for a while, I kind of like the way it shows it's history. I can decide later if I want to restore over time, and if restoring would be better to ensure it's long-term survival.

The last photo is me in my Edwardian outfit, which I'll be wearing when I ride this bike at events. Pretty darn close to that lady in the ad!

Antiqueaholic in recovery

Ipcress

Re: Unidentified British Bike Circa 1918
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 12:50:24 pm »
Looks like a Royal Enfield but their curved upper tube has one bracket, not two, attaching it to the lower tube.

I'll have a browse later.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 12:58:22 pm »
Thanks Ipcress, anything you can find would be great!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 04:00:56 pm »
found this...site,...the gaments are right up your street.

www.oldbike.eu/emancipation/?page_id=92

and this...note curved down tube attached in one place
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 04:05:23 pm by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 04:21:54 pm »
The Royal Enfield and Engin bikes look really close, but there are little differences. This bike is totally unmarked. The swoop of the forks, sprocket, rear cargo rack are all different. The Old Bikes site is really great though. Tons of good info there for me to look through!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 04:28:22 pm »
According to that site there were 15,000 UK bicycle manufacturers and the odds of being able to identify bikes like this are very slim!

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 04:35:11 pm »

and this...note curved down tube attached in one place

That's the point. Tales' bike is attached in two. It's also less streamline / sleak than the Royal Enfield and others.
Googled some loop frame bicycles and vast majority are connected in one place. Automoto have two but then there are other differences.

Could quite easily be an unknown variant. Might also appear unmarked now but may have been when in better condition.

My suggestion would be to try real bike experts and enthusiasts. Better chance one of them will be able to identify it.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 04:53:07 pm »
I will do that, I need to locate some old bike forums. I don't have the bike in hand yet, but I should have it in a couple of days. The seller is calling everyone he knows to get a hold of a replacement wheel for me. The sprocket on this bike is also really different. Here's an up close shot of it. See how it spells out the company name "Scott" in the sprocket? I bet we can at least date the bike by that. I love the stiff, upright look this bike has. A proper Edwardian lady's bike.  ;D

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:10:40 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 05:40:13 pm »
Nice bike Tales.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Ipcress

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 07:08:01 pm »
Could be a BSA Roadster with slightly different specs.

The loop frame attached in two places like yours

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 07:11:33 pm »
Looks pretty close! I don't think mine ever had hand brakes, but these could be different years and models like you say.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 07:22:14 pm »
I can't find any info about a company named Scott making bicycles or sprockets either.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 08:21:30 pm »
Not sure about the UK but many of the bike mfrs here had their own sprocket patterns unique to them !! I think Schwinn had a sweetheart sprocket !! Heart shaped pattern !! Possibly UK did too ?? Might try checking that !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 09:17:37 pm »
http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1918-2/1918-ladys-rover-bicycle-model-a/

Here is one to look through,, they also have a discussion group and museum I think !! 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 05:31:02 pm »
Just wanted to give you guys an update. The purchase of this bike has been one of the best transactions ever. The seller has taken the whole bike apart, lubed everything, fixed stuff, put new wheels on, and done everything needed to get it rideable again. I was able to do part cash, part trade for some antiques I was ready to part with, so it all worked out very well and he's been on-hand for questions all the way along. I managed to locate the tires we needed. These were an odd size and type, but it just happened that there is a Danish retro bike shop in San Francisco that carried exactly the right kind. You can see them mounted on one of the rims below. I also found a reproduction seat of the right type that is being shipped today. This will give me one to use for riding, and eventually I'd like to find an antique for it when it is just sitting.

I got an ID on the bike. 1918 is more or less the right date for it. It was made by F.H. Scott in England. He was a bike maker who had an association with Raleigh. This bike contains a lot of pre-1918 Raleigh elements. The unique sprocket was made by an outside company for Scott.

Here's a couple of progress photos, more to come:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:33:21 pm by talesofthesevenseas »