Author Topic: 1838 Society For Promiting Christian Knowledge Bible  (Read 1426 times)

smokey

• View Profile
1838 Society For Promiting Christian Knowledge Bible
« on: November 22, 2013, 01:03:09 pm »
I found a 1838 Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge Bible in an old secretary desk in my home. This Bible belonged to an ancestor of mine.
Attached to the back part of the front cover is a sticker that says:

"Presented By The United Congregations of St. Martin's and St. Bartholomew's, Birmingham, On The Day Of The Coronation of Queen Victoria
June XXVIII,
MDCCCXXXVIII

This is the smaller book of "The Common Prayer". There to 2 similar books on Ebay right now, one for $500.00 and one for $1699.00 however these are the larger versions of the book. The spine is in poor condition and someone threaded it back together at some point. Copyright says 1838.

If anyone has any information on this book including a potential value that would be great!

Thanks in advance for any help!

mart

• View Profile
Re: 1838 Society For Promiting Christian Knowledge Bible
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 02:19:22 pm »
http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/common-prayer-administration-sacraments-other-rites-ceremonies-church-according-use-united-church-england-ireland/n/200000013/

This one should be close if not the same !! Large illustrated versions are pricey !! Not so the smaller ones !! Condition is not good in this one !! I would just keep it for your family history !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 02:26:01 pm »
Mart beat me to it.

You can find all kinds for sale on the internet.

The full value is in your family history!!!  Hold on to it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 02:30:07 pm »
Mart beat me to it.

You can find all kinds for sale on the internet.

The full value is in your family history!!!  Hold on to it!

Rainy and miserable here,,  one of the rare days when not much else to do !!  Guess I could make bread !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 08:26:51 pm »
I know!  I have been freezin' my setter off....  It is 33˚F, we have had some sleet and lots of rain/wind.  Our swimming pool looks like a pool of leaves instead of water...and I am tiring of netting it (already got a full 33 gal bag of leaves so far today)!!  My hands were red and numb and now burning!  AND of course my better half is in Hawaii on the weekly trip, 89˚, eating lunch on the beach and talking about sweating!  Well...at least I am alive and kicking!  :)  LOL
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 11:33:01 am »
Bet he felt real sorry for you too didn`t he ?? LOL !! They just gotta rub it in !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 10:31:14 pm »
He doesn't rub it in too bad.... He is very wise!  :)