Poll

Is the chandelier work reverseable?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Victorian Ambulance Wheel or Litter  (Read 4747 times)

J J Wiggins

• View Profile
Victorian Ambulance Wheel or Litter
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:15:41 am »
 am trying to get some more information on what I believe to be a Victorian ambulance wheel from 1890 but would love some more information on it. You can view the pictures here, Some attempt has been made to turn the wheel into a chandelier and I was wondering what effect that has and if its reversible if necessary. :

mart

• View Profile
Re: Victorian Ambulance Wheel or Litter
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:03:47 am »
Unless you can go back in time,,you can`t repair those holes !!  Would not be worth it anyway !! I have never heard of  a collectors group for old wooden ambulance wheels !! Here in the U.S it might bring $40. at auction and chances are if someone bought it,,they would turn it into a chandelier too,,or a chair or something else !!  More value there than just leaving it as an old wooden wheel !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 10:17:57 am »
I think the key to creating value here...would be in the slim chance of finding the matching wheel.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:23:25 am »
Believe we had another thread on this.  Thanks for posting pictures.  Totally agree about the holes are there now.

I still believe that the value will be in making it a chandelier at this point.  HOWEVER, you might want to contact a collection/collector of antique/vintage ambulance or antique wheels and see if they have any ideas/recommendations.

Here are a few sites you can peruse....
http://www.goldcrossems.com/?page_id=681

http://www.hansenwheel.com/custom-showcase/showcase/custom-vehicle-showcase/army-ambulance1

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 12:03:46 pm »
I agree KC !! The chandelier would likely sell for $200. to $250 especially if its a smaller wheel and well done !!  I think this is in the UK,,not sure how they sell there !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:32:03 pm »
value and use as is.....garden ornament...value... maybe £30/£40.....value as a chandelier....is dependant on how much you,re willing to spend.on creating a chandelier, whether it be a 3,4, 5, 7, lamp one...but whatever you spend....you are unlikely to sell it for a profit...for here in the Uk....nobody wants them......
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 07:33:42 pm »
Evidently one person wanted one !! ;D  They sell pretty well here depending on how well they are made !!~

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 07:56:39 pm »
They are a hot item here!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 04:16:33 am »
Evidently one person wanted one !! ;D  They sell pretty well here depending on how well they are made !!~
thats because y,all still hanker fur that wild west feel......over here...that wheel is worth £30 tops whether its a wheel or a d.i.y  chandelier...person ally...i,d break it up for kindling....it,ll be made of oak....that wood, that you are an expert on ;D.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:58:02 pm by bigwull »

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 06:45:33 pm »
Here is the question.  Wagon wheel chandeliers sell well here but we are looking at an ambulance wheel I believe.  Will that bring the same price?

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 09:08:10 am »
Here is the question.  Wagon wheel chandeliers sell well here but we are looking at an ambulance wheel I believe.  Will that bring the same price?

For myself, if I was choosing between...
1. A iron tired wagon wheel that I could use my imagination to fabricate a romantic vision of use.
2. Or, a rubber tired version that was used on a litter / stretcher to carry the sick and dead.

I know which I would rather have hanging over my dining table. :D

J J Wiggins

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 10:41:51 am »
Yes I'm UK based. Thank you all very much for your advice.

When you say there "hot" over here do you mean the UK?

Is it ruined as an antique wheel? would it be best to knock it up into a chandillier?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 10:51:08 am »
Depends on which post you are reading !! They are hot in the U.S,,, Bigwull is in Scotland and he says UK sales are poor !!
My opinion is that it would sell better if the chandelier were completed !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 12:30:17 pm »
Agree with Mart about selling well here in the US! 

As for a chandelier made out of a ambulance wheel!!!  That would be more unique and possible a more valuable item over here. If you are keeping up with trending with decor...chandeliers are going in the bathroom, bedroom entry, kitchen, etc.  This would be a great addition to a doctor's office, medical office building, a person in the medical field's home, etc. 

Depending on how it was finished out....

But, I don't believe it will have top value as the original item with the holes in it!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 02:21:13 pm »
Agree with Mart about selling well here in the US! 

As for a chandelier made out of a ambulance wheel!!!  That would be more unique and possible a more valuable item over here. If you are keeping up with trending with decor...chandeliers are going in the bathroom, bedroom entry, kitchen, etc.  This would be a great addition to a doctor's office, medical office building, a person in the medical field's home, etc. 

Depending on how it was finished out....

But, I don't believe it will have top value as the original item with the holes in it!
Ah!!as for being unique......,that would depend on any potential buyer..believing it was an ambulance wheel...cos it could be mistaken for a wagon wheel....unless of course it was this kind....then it would,nt... ;D