Author Topic: Bible Box Question(s)  (Read 4444 times)

bcaln1

• View Profile
Bible Box Question(s)
« on: November 29, 2013, 06:16:36 pm »
I picked this up at a thrift store recently and while I do know that it's a bible box what I'd really like to know is if anyone can tell me (or guess) where it may have come from, what type of wood it's made of, the possible value.....  The hinges look more recent (replacement?) and there's a repair in the front center, possibly a lock plate that was removed and a new piece carved to cover the repair.  

Any input would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Bruce
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:24:57 pm by bcaln1 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Bible Box Question(s)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 06:46:53 pm »
What am I seeing on the top ?? Is that damage or is it the way the wood is grained ??  Can we get a better pic of just that area ??  It looks like oak but not new wood !!

bcaln1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 07:40:11 pm »
The area on the top of the hinged lid is a big not, looks like burled wood (if that's the correct phrase).  It is indented/recessed in the area of the knot, not sure why.  These are the only other photos I have of the area, back and front.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 07:47:28 pm »
That's what I thought it might be !! Its where the burl knot was attached to the tree !! The burl was more valuable than the tree it was on !!

bcaln1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 07:53:42 pm »
There is also a burl on the narrow top, above the hinges.  That piece may have been cut from the same section wood, both knots are in the same general area.  Any idea of why the knot is indented?  Maybe a knot dries differently than the regular wood?  (Just guessing....) 

:-)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 08:15:49 pm »
The front edge and the top shows the uniform straight grain of oak !! As to the burl,, it doesn`t dry differently but it is the way the cellular structure is that might cause it to recess somewhat especially as it gets older !! It sort of curls around on itself !! That's what makes the knot that you see !! The unique grain inside the burl makes it valuable !! I am not sure the hinges are replacements,, I see nothing to indicate they are but the pics are not the best either !! This looks like a home made project by someone !! The decoration doesn`t give a clue to where it was made !! Its pretty generic !! I am guessing someone used it for a different purpose from looking at the inside !! Appears to have been repaired with wood filler !!  My guess would be its probably 1920`s or 30`s !!  A closer look might change that opinion though !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 04:52:55 am »
 It's a copy of a 17th century chip carved writing desk or slope. "Bible Box" is a term invented during the victorian era to describe all manner of 17th-18th century box forms. Most early box forms were used to keep personal items of individuals within not very private households.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 12:48:41 pm »
Can you please post the dimensions of the box overall and then the inside dimensions?  (Most bible boxes have a 24" width; give or take.

Agree with Jacon4...this is known as a basic carved writing desk (they can get very elaborate), and as he said in Victorian times a carved bible box with writing slope.   From pics...appears to be a modern reproduction.  There isn't a lock on the item so it is for more practical usage.

Would agree with Mart on the time line.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bcaln1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 05:47:36 pm »
Here are two more photos, one front and one of the bottom.  Most, if not all of the wood on the box seems to be quarter sawn, which is used in better wood making, or so I've been told.  Anyway......many thanks for the feedback, I really love the box and for the $60 I paid, I think it'll make a great, not to expensive addition to the house decor.

Cheers! 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 06:02:36 pm »
Nice box but not quarter sawn,, just plain straight grain from what I saw !!  I think your box was made from the first cut from the tree along the outside !! That's why it shows where the burl was !! Furniture was made from the interior boards !! My personal opinion is that some worker used this wood for a personal project rather than feeding the wood stove with it !! Since it is close to Christmas and to put it in story form, I could imagine he needed a gift for his wife and since money was hard to come by, he made this box for her from leftovers where he worked !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 06:07:12 pm »
LOL @ gift box, Hey, it could happen. Yes, i have gone after period boxes at auction, they can get quite pricey as they are highly collectable as decorator items.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 06:14:47 pm »
Here is a box i went after several years ago at auction, estimate was 1-2k but after it hit 3k i lost interest in a hurry, went for over 8k, with BP and shipping, a $10,000. box.

http://www.garths.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=1054+++++++8+&refno=++194879

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 07:53:26 pm »
I can see why you would like that one Jacon4 !!  Its your style !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 09:17:37 pm »
Yeah, killer box but the price i thought was to much. Just goes to show the value though, particularly if dated and owners name on it. Some of these boxes were wedding boxes as well with carved hearts and names or initials of hubby, bride. Almost everyone in those days though had their own personal box that lived in communal households, not much privacy in a 1  room house. These boxes were a way for family members to have a space of their own i guess.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:20:58 pm by jacon4 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 09:38:58 pm »
Guess I'm not going to get the dimensions! :(
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!