Author Topic: Any ideas on this mystery hutch? Age? Origin?  (Read 3195 times)

FamilyHeirlooms

• Geneaologist researching my family heirlooms
    • View Profile
Any ideas on this mystery hutch? Age? Origin?
« on: December 01, 2013, 10:48:05 am »
Hello everyone, I have another mystery family heirloom that I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on.

This hutch (see attached pictures) has been in my wife's family for several generations. My wife's great-grandparents owned this hutch and we know from my wife's grandmother that the hutch was in their house her whole life (she remembers it as a small child). Which puts its age at pre-1930 (conservatively). However, my wife's grandmother has told us the hutch first belonged to her grandparents (my wife's great-great-grandparents). In which case, this hutch could be much older. My wife's great-great-grandparents were immigrants and some of the first settlers in the state, arriving around 1860.

I'm hoping the style will be a clue to how old it is and where it came from. A few things to note however. This is not the original color. My wife's grandfather bleached it when they owned it because he did not like dark wood. The original color was much darker, I would describe it as a dark walnut. The underside of the piece still has the original stain but as it is now I probably can't get you a picture of that. Also, all the exterior hardware may have been replaced (it does not look original to the piece). The only original hardware is the latch on the inside of the upper (glass) doors. It appears to be made of iron and is a small hook and clasp feature (I can get a picture of it if needed). The hutch is in two pieces, a top and a bottom. There is no hardware holding the pieces together, the top piece sits squarely (and very snugly) over a 1 inch tall frame built into the bottom of the hutch.

Lastly, the bottom of the hutch has a set of two holes, about 3/4 inch in diameter, on each side. The holes line up perfectly on both sides and look as though you could insert a pair of dowels through the inside. I have no idea what purpose these holes serve or if they are original to the piece. My wife's grandmother says the holes have always been there, though she has no idea why or what their purpose was. I can post a picture of the holes if necessary if it is needed.

Also, there is a family legend that this hutch came from Norway and was brought over by my wife's great-great-grandparents. I have serious doubts about this story as they came over as steerage and could not have afforded to bring a piece this large. I include that bit of information only on the off chance that it could be true and necessary to help identify the origin of the piece (and what a story that would be).

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Joe

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Any ideas on this mystery hutch? Age? Origin?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 11:06:45 am »
Thanks for the explanation and photos; they really help!

The hardware is definitely newer, I'd say 1960s or 70s. Too bad about the refinishing, since it lowers the value. I'd say your piece dates to the late 19th century, probably ca. 1880-90, and was executed in a folk style, perhas by a craftsman of Norwegian descent (what state are you in?). My guess is that the holes were for dowels that may have served as towel bars; I've seen this device used in washstands and dressers quite often.

Unfortunately, in this down market and with the piece's alterations, I'd day it's worth maybe $200-$300, at least in Missouri.

You have an interesting hutch with alot of nice history behind it, whether it came from Norway or not (and I agree with you, it probably did not). It's great that it's been in the family all this time. Keep it that way!!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 11:26:00 am »
Ghopper is correct,, that hardware is what was most used in that time period (60`s and 70`s) !! It is in the arts & crafts (Craftsman) style which was popular late 1800`s and early 1900`s !! Wood appears to be oak and was the wood typically used for that style !! Rarely was oak given a dark stain but some of the older varnish does go dark and makes it look as if the wood was stained in a darker color !! This may have been what happened and that usually doesn`t require bleaching,, but a removal of the varnish layer and cleaning would have revealed the real color !! I personally think the refinish helped and if it were me I would try to find a pic of the piece somewhere and replace the hardware !!  Ghopper is correct on value in most areas !! But as a part of your family history,, its worth much more !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:07:28 pm »
Hi ghopper! How is msghopper doing? The hardware looks replaced and newer. I agree.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 02:11:09 pm »
Been wanting to ask that question but always seem to get sidetracked !! We never hear from Mrs Ghopper any more !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 04:32:55 am »
FamilyH, nice step-back oak cupboard ...... but t'would be nicer iffen you put some re-pro hardware back on it.

Anyway, nice refinishing job, ...... didn't affect its value at all.

And those 3/4" holes in the sides are "vent holes" for cooling when hot pies, bread, etc. is placed inside for safe keeping. Sometimes such holes have a piece of screenwire "tacked" over them on the inside to prevent flies n' other vermin from getting in to the food.

Here is a link to an almost identical cupboard to yours. "Click-it" and read the description the seller gives for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Oak-Step-Back-Kitchen-Cabinet-China-Cupboard-2-Piece-4-Drawer-Glass-Door-/301008190021

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 10:20:51 am »
You can use Cogar`s pic to get appropriate hardware !!~  Look on ebay !!

FamilyHeirlooms

• Geneaologist researching my family heirlooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 10:19:30 am »
Thank you everyone for all the valuable information. I really appreciate it. The link to the eBay auction was a great help since it had pictures of what the original hardware looked like.

When I compare the approximate age of the piece (i.e., 1880-1900) against the birth and marriage dates in my wife's family, this suggests that the piece was originally owned by her great-great grandparents as her grandmother claimed. That means it has been in the family for 5 generations now!

Thanks again everyone! :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 11:06:50 am »
Excellent keepsake to pass down !!  You can`t go wrong with oak !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 11:15:58 am »
Excellent keepsake to pass down !!  You can`t go wrong with oak !!
i,d second that.....nothing burns better than oak.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 11:38:11 am »
Going to toss water on your woodburner one of these days !!  :D